I might have a broody?

LegbarMama

Songster
Mar 17, 2021
So I need some advice, my hen has been disappearing during the days and nights and only coming around a few hours each day, in the mornings. I assume she's broody, the problem is 1) she is going off our property into one of our neighbors yard and idk where her nest is and 2) her eggs are not fertile. I'd love for her to hatch some eggs but I need her to do it on our property so I can make sure she is safe and so I can actually give her fertile eggs. If I make her a nest in the barn or coop and put new eggs in it and put her on it, will she stay?

Do you only have this one hen?

If she has a nest somewhere, it's doubtful she'll sit on one you make for her in the coop unless you lock her in. See what she does. If she chooses to sit on the new nest, she'll stay on them at home for at least 3 weeks, but then you'll possibly have the dilemma of her leaving with her chicks during the day.

Do you only have this one hen?

If she has a nest somewhere, it's doubtful she'll sit on one you make for her in the coop unless you lock her in. See what she does. If she chooses to sit on the new nest, she'll stay on them at home for at least 3 weeks, but then you'll possibly have the dilemma of her leaving with her chicks during the day.
I have others and she is very close to one of my other hens so I'm thinking she's broody bc I dont think she'd just leave her bestie behind like that. I will try locking her up with a new nest, if she comes back... Haven't seen her all day 😔 I'm starting to worry

I have others and she is very close to one of my other hens so I'm thinking she's broody bc I dont think she'd just leave her bestie behind like that. I will try locking her up with a new nest, if she comes back... Haven't seen her all day 😔 I'm starting to worry
Since you've been seeing her just like once a day, in the mornings, usually, she's probably coming for food and then back to her "nest." If you could stay a distance from her and at least observe the direction she heads, that might give you an idea of where she's got it. You could then eliminate that nest, but you'd have her locked up by that time anyway. If she's indeed sitting on eggs somewhere, you might not see her for a day or two.

Since you've been seeing her just like once a day, in the mornings, usually, she's probably coming for food and then back to her "nest." If you could stay a distance from her and at least observe the direction she heads, that might give you an idea of where she's got it. You could then eliminate that nest, but you'd have her locked up by that time anyway. If she's indeed sitting on eggs somewhere, you might not see her for a day or two.
Thank you. Hopefully I will see her again soon.. I was hoping I'd be able to lock her up today bc we have a storm coming. I hope she'll be OK. I've always wanted a hen to go broody but these aren't the best circumstances 😫

Back
Top Bottom