I might have Batham Guineas.

Lottux

In the Brooder
Sep 13, 2023
OK let me explain I keep my gineas with the Batham chickens because of the sound they make to scare out birds that want to attack, and recently one hen had 4 chicks and from those only one seems to be a normal Batham and I guess that one my gineas ended up having a chick with a Batham because there's only one Batham rooster and two gineas. and the thing that I wanted to ask is it even possible that the other 3 could be gineas? if it is posible could they at least make eggs?

A guinea chicken hybrid is possible, though rare and they have complications and don’t live very long. What makes you think these are not regular bantams or guineas? Keep in mind that the hen could also act as a surrogate and sit on guinea eggs, however, guinea eggs take a week longer to hatch. Could you take pictures of the babies that hatched.

A guinea chicken hybrid is possible, though rare and they have complications and don’t live very long. What makes you think these are not regular bantams or guineas? Keep in mind that the hen could also act as a surrogate and sit on guinea eggs, however, guinea eggs take a week longer to hatch. Could you take pictures of the babies that hatched.
I only have 3 roosters one little and two guinea and i do not have pictures but they are like 5 weeks old I'm not sure, plus I for sure now know that like two are from one guinea, one from the other one, and one from the little rooster---(when I was referring to the chicks I meant that they had their chicks with the same little hen)

Guinea eggs are much larger than regular chicken eggs, and way larger than bantam chicken eggs. I can't imagine a bantam rooster being able to breed a guinea hen, is that even possible? Do you have regular size chickens? If you can post pictures of the chicks somebody will be able to tell you if you have guinea chicks, chickens, or bantam chicks - or some kind of hybrids.

Guinea eggs are much larger than regular chicken eggs, and way larger than bantam chicken eggs. I can't imagine a bantam rooster being able to breed a guinea hen, is that even possible? Do you have regular size chickens? If you can post pictures of the chicks somebody will be able to tell you if you have guinea chicks, chickens, or bantam chicks - or some kind of hybrids.
I will try to get the pictures, but not today where I'm at is already 10:30pm so I'll have to take the pictures tomorrow, also I do have regular size chickens one black star hen and two other hens of the same type but orange.

Guinea eggs are smaller than standard hen eggs and are more pointed. It would depend on your bantam egg size to know which would be larger.
Female birds do not need a male to lay eggs, but they do to hatch chicks. Birds can sit on another birds eggs and hatch them. As mentioned above guinea take about 28 days to hatch, but the chickens will hatch around day 21.
I am not very familiar with the hybrids, but I know they are possible,but also not able to thrive.

the little chickens I'm still kind of new to identifying chickens.
You must been bantam, then. There are two size classes of chicken: large fowl and bantam. Large fowl is the "regular" size of a chicken and anything larger, and bantam is smaller than the "regular," usually 1/3 or 1/4 the size. There are several breeds of bantam, although there seem to be less than large fowl.

Back
Top Bottom