I might have made a big mistake with this rooster

Khoree

In the Brooder
Jun 4, 2020
I need some advice regarding our Buff Orpington rooster, Winston. We took him from a nice lady who couldn't keep him when she discovered he was a roo. So, he was hatched sometime in the spring. I have 30 chickens total. 8 are a month old and safely in a brooder. All female. 20 pullets that are 2.5 months old and fully feathered. And one little buff brahma cockerelle that is not fully feathered but he is trying :). Winston attacks the little roo and will basically not let him out of the coop. He also sneaks up and grabs the pullets. Lots of shrieking and everyone runs to hide. Winston doesn't really watch for predators and if I bring treats he runs the girls off and tries to eat it all himself. He has never attacked me but my husband and daughter are terrified of him. Both have been been attacked and chased. I have to walk my daughter to her car every day. Is he a just bad rooster? Are all of my other chickens in danger? Will Winston eventually start doing his job when he is older or when the girls are older? Or, should I rehome him or cull him? Or caponize him?? Although he seems to tolerate me he will not let me touch him. He always stays just out of my reach. Thanks for reading the really looooong question.

You are going to get a lot of conflicting advice. However, a rooster like that is a danger, and a visitor might not find it funny.

Their brain is the size of a walnut, not a lot to work with, once they start bullying, they are the biggest thing in the flock, and there really isn't anything that can knock some manners into him. In a multi-generational flock, older bird would be educating him. If you could re-home him into a flock with mature birds it might help.

I vote let him go, roosters have ruined chickens for a whole lot of people. In my opinion, he is just getting started and is apt to become more and more violent.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom