I might have me my 1st broody!

Beccazon

Crowing
Apr 23, 2019
Michigan Thumb
Gone all day. Back to this...my Fluffer on a nest though she ALWAYS lays before noon and will FREAK OUT if anyone is in this box. So here we are at 3PM. I here here leave it to eat. My Nugget hops in and within 15 min is LOUDY chased out. (Nuggets favorite nest also lol). Now Fluffer is back in and told me to go away:lol:

How cool! Hoping she layed a still fertile egg! Roo has been gone about a month now:hmm

Gone all day. Back to this...my Fluffer on a nest though she ALWAYS lays before noon and will FREAK OUT if anyone is in this box. So here we are at 3PM. I here here leave it to eat. My Nugget hops in and within 15 min is LOUDY chased out. (Nuggets favorite nest also lol). Now Fluffer is back in and told me to go away:lol:

How cool! Hoping she layed a still fertile egg! Roo has been gone about a month now:hmm

:celebrate Oh, I hope so! Broody hens are so fun to watch while they raise their peeps! Once you're confident she's committed and sitting where you want her, then you can give her some more eggs if you don't think she's sitting on a fertilized egg. Good luck!

:celebrate Oh, I hope so! Broody hens are so fun to watch while they raise their peeps! Once you're confident she's committed and sitting where you want her, then you can give her some more eggs if you don't think she's sitting on a fertilized egg. Good luck!
Thanx!

And..."where I want her"? Can I move a setting hen? I mean she is fine where she is but...if she weren't, that is a doable thing??

Thanx!

And..."where I want her"? Can I move a setting hen? I mean she is fine where she is but...if she weren't, that is a doable thing??

It is doable, sometimes, lol. Broody hens aren't like using incubators, as it's completely dependant on their personalities. This is why if I do decide to move a broody hen I like to move them before giving them eggs. Some hens will settle right in on their eggs in the new space while other hens will have complete meltdowns trying to get back to the box they selected for themselves whether there are eggs in the box or not. Every single hen is different. If you move your hen and she doesn't settle down on her eggs after a couple of hours then it is possible to allow her to incubate the eggs in her selected box and move her once the chicks are hatched.
I've had many broody hens and no experience has been exactly the same but you'll find what works best for you and your set up as you have them!

Hoping she layed a still fertile egg! Roo has been gone about a month now:hmm
Possible, but not probable.
Open one of her eggs to check.

Is she on nest most the day and all night?
When you pull her out of nest and put her on the ground, does she flatten right back out into a fluffy screeching pancake?
Does she walk around making a low cluckcluckcluckcluckcluck(ticking bomb) sound on her way back to the nest?
If so, then she is probably broody and you'll have to decide how to manage it.

When I have a broody I wait until she's been in the nest most the day and all night for 2-3 days...along with those other signs I posted.

Then I put her in the broody enclosure with fake eggs in the floor nest, she won't like being moved, but if she is truly good and broody she will settle onto the new nest within a half a day.
Then I give her fresh fertile eggs and mark the calendar.

I like them separated by wire from the flock, it's just easier all around.
No having to mark eggs and remove any additions daily, no taking up a laying nest, no going back to the wrong nest after the daily constitutional.

Broody was just "moody" lol. She hopped off some time that night and never went back. That's ok though...for now. As my bator batch has 14 of 19 hatched so far with 2 of the remaining eggs pipped so far.

Back
Top Bottom