1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I miss my buddies!!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by calvincoop, Nov 30, 2011.

1. calvincoop

calvincoop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Portland, Oregon
    Does anyone else feel like they neglect their flock during the winter? I tend to spend more time indoors and less time outdoors with them because of the cold. Also, it's dark when I leave for work and dark when I come back from work so their already cooped upped for the night and I then realize I have missed an entire day of their lives. So sad. I can't wait till spring/summer! I went out and bought them some mealworms today because I felt so bad [​IMG]
    And then they stare through the window at you like this.
    [​IMG]
    (Matilda is missing from this picture, she was broody at the time of course)

2. The Red Rooster

The Red Rooster Poultry Observer

SAME HERE!!! Poor babies. [​IMG]

3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Let them in the house!

4. cochunk

cochunk Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2011
    I neglected to pay attention to the girls for 3 days due to heavy rain. they would peck my legs but after petting and holding them for a while the pecking stopped, except for our flock leader the australorp (zelda) who would not stop pecking me.[​IMG]

5. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    How cute they are watching people TV!

They are pretty. [​IMG]

6. stilldeb

stilldeb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    NW Kentucky
    oh me, too - especially last winter because it was so cold for so long. Hopefully, we will get some breaks of decent weather this winter and not just one long cold blast. Picture is too cute!

7. goldies99

goldies99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    they want some treats!!!

8. hispoptart

hispoptart Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    NW Colorado
    Awww, I feel the same way. I miss my girls [​IMG]

9. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    I have been known to fly out of school (I'm a substitute teacher) as fast as I can to beat the busses out of the parking lot. That way I get home with 15 minutes or so of light to ignore the dogs and run out to my precious chickens before they go to bed.

I also take a flashlight out to wake them up for a few petsies. They don't care much for the flashlight while they are trying to sleep, but I don't care. I need my chicken fix.

I'm lucky right now tho, cuz I have Mama Silkie and her 3 babies right next to the house in the brooder hutch, so I still have some close by and under cover for my chicken viewing pleasure.

10. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I can hardly wait for the Winter Solstice - and then the days begin to lengthen again! I get NOTHING done on the weekends because I am loading up on Chicken Time instead of doing household chores. Much more fun to just sit and watch the flock, chat with the occasional chicken or goose that wanders up onto the porch to come see me, all those premier encounters. I, too, wake up the chooks when I get home from work, just to gather eggs and refill waterers and check all the feeders. Several will get down from their roosts to get some attention. Waaaah! I miss them so much!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by