1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I miss my chicken babies...

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by kaylaewoldt928, Jul 8, 2016.

1. kaylaewoldt928

kaylaewoldt928 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2016
    Guys, this is kind of an RIP/story/depressed venting. I started my chickens the beginning of 2016 in Louisiana. My first rent house, lots of land. I bought one welsummer (Poppy) and she was so in love with me and I with her. We got her at 2 days old and kept her heating area in our bedroom. She got scares at nighy so we got her sister the next day from the same liter (Peaches). We didnt have the same connection and Peaches was so much more jumoy and pecky. I grew to love her though. And weeks later we bought their baby sisters, production reds, Buttercup and Tulip. They were so happy in the city and everything was fine. I moved to my family farm about 2 months later, 144 acres of land, beautiful. I planned to brees my babies and let them free range. The second night we moved in, a cayotw killed Tulip, Poppy and Peaches. Only Buttercup was left. She was freaking out. I cried for days. Woke ul to my loving animals bloody sprawled across the yard and it was ALL my fault. So i get two more chickens to make Buttercup feel more secure. The same exact age. Mixed breed, Minnie looked like one of those rainbow chickens and Peppercorn was black and white. Three days ago, the coop was open and Peppercorn was inside only. I look aroung to find Minnie half dead laying by the cows. Buttercup (the ony baby I've had left from my original flock) is nowhete to be found. There was no way we could cover 144 acres of land but i tell you i tried my ****** hardest. And still feel like i could have done more. I have recovered Minnie and her and her sister are being crazy spoiled with treats because i know they hate me. How could i let this happen? Twice? I'm seriously thinkg about rehoming them so they can have a better life. (My grandmothers boxer dog killed/hurt them). I have completely failed at keeping them safe and lost almost all of my chicken babies in the process?? I'm just so at loss and kind of mad at myself. I dont know what to do anymore. My chickens were better off in the city then they ever were over here in the country!

2. ChickenChaser9

ChickenChaser9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2016
    Condolences. Nothing is worse than finding your chickens dead in the morning. The truth is everything loves to eat chicken not just us humans. As you know security is your responsibility, hens have no real way to defend themselves. Dogs are always going to be the biggest threat to them but the country is filled with predators. There are a lot of ways you can try to prevent critters from getting to your birds many ideas for that can be found here on this forum. Get serious about protecting them and they will survive. I personally shoot any meat eating animals that come snooping around my property. It is not going to deter anything but that is why having a shelter that is predator proof is just one of many systems I have in place for dealing with unwanted varmints. Best Wishes.

P.S. The chickens do not hate you.

3. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

[​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by