1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I miss Roxy!!!!!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Chickenpjoe, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Chickenpjoe

Chickenpjoe Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2012
    One of my most (if not most) beloved barred rocks got killed a wile ago. Her name was roxy. She was the prettiest barred rock i had. i have a 6x14x6(?) kennel outside were my chickens roam. somehow one of my dogs maneged to get roxy out of the kennel and killed her. I WAS FURIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We chased them away. After a day they came back. I then apologised about punishing them for being dogs. I mean, dogs are dogs,right. Now we have an electric fence around the kennel. and if they get approx. 15-20 yards to the kennel, i throw rocks at them ( i usally miss.) I might of forgiven them, but i don't trust them fully.......[​IMG]

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Sorry to hear about your loss!! Hang in there! [​IMG]

3. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    I am sorry ! Dogs will be dogs, you just have to find a better way to seperate them from chickens. its not going to be easy ! I have to keep mine away from wildlife predators !

4. KrisH

KrisH Chillin' With My Peeps

so sorry, but it's not completely the dogs fault. watch out with rocks, you would not want a big vet bill, let alone explaining why you wer throwing ROCKS at the dog. migt I suggest a tennis ball, or just a loud "NO" along with training near the chickens. teach it to avoid the chickens, or at least not to chase them.

not fussing, just that the dog doesn't know why you are upset [​IMG]

I'm sure you just want to vent.

RobertH

5. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad to have you aboard. So sorry about your hen. I hope it never happens again. :hugs

6. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    So sorry about Roxy :hugs

7. jbirds2012

jbirds2012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2012
    paicines, ca.
    [​IMG]

i feel ya. after dh's dog killed my second turkey i insisted that we make a yard for our poultry. i kinda got my revenge watching him out there pounding T post in the ground. sweating like, should i say a dog, ( he he ) well now we have a nice safe yard for our chickens ,turkeys and guineas to fun and frolic in :)

8. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Sorry to hear about your loss [​IMG]

9. aaabirdman

aaabirdman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2012
    NY
    Welcome to BYC from NY[​IMG]

10. Red Barn Farms

Red Barn Farms ~Friendly Fowl~

Apr 12, 2012
    Kentucky Heartland
    Howdy! I've found in the past when training dogs a water gun seems to help some. I have friends who prefer bb guns! [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by