I moved them outside...

onionheadtg2014

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 18, 2014
Hi, My chicks are two weeks old as of yesterday. I already have about 20 other 4-6 week old chicks as well (they are outside and in the coop). So yesterday I created a REDKNECK brooder in the coop. It separates the chicks and the older chicks. My question is do you think that they need to stay separated or can I let them go with the rest of the chicks. Another thing I was thinking was letting them out in the coop and just letting them all be together at night. I was aiming toward the night thing but i'm still worried about them being too young to start a pecking order. I do have turkey poults and guinea keets as well but they are quite big. Any suggestions. I just want them to start integrating with the flock.

I think that's a little young to combine them, but creating a brooder within the coop is a great idea. If the 2 groups can see each other, it'll make it easier to combine them later. I wait until the groups are closer in size, then combine them, maybe in a month or so? There are always a few pecking order issues, but they eventually work themselves out.

Ok thanks then ill just move a couple of things around and fix my issues. I was aiming toward separation but I also love seeing them all together scratching and playing lol.

I know! It's so cute! At least until the bullying starts. Lol

I have some 5 week olds myself, and a hatch getting ready to start, so I'm facing the same problem pretty soon. Then I have another hatch in a month. So I'll have like 4 or 5 different groups of birds. I need to build a chicken hotel!

Lol I have close to 70 birds total so I will be expanding my coop in July. I am addicted to Poultry lol. I don't know how to stop it.....

UPDATE:

Yesterday, I finally turned them loose in the run. They are 2.5 weeks old now and getting their feathers. They enjoyed the sun and dust bathing. The only real bullying issue that I had with them were the ducks. They are integrating quite well..... They still have access to a heat lamp just incase they get cold... The guineas and turkeys are doing great as well.....

UPDATE:

Yesterday, I finally turned them loose in the run. They are 2.5 weeks old now and getting their feathers.  They enjoyed the sun and dust bathing. The only real bullying issue that I had with them were the ducks. They are integrating quite well..... They still have access to a heat lamp just incase they get cold... The guineas and turkeys are doing great as well.....

That's great news!

UPDATE:

Yesterday, I finally turned them loose in the run. They are 2.5 weeks old now and getting their feathers.  They enjoyed the sun and dust bathing. The only real bullying issue that I had with them were the ducks. They are integrating quite well..... They still have access to a heat lamp just incase they get cold... The guineas and turkeys are doing great as well.....

Yay! Glad they were able to enjoy being out in some nice weather.

Back
Top Bottom