I murdered our best sweetest hen

OMG, I really feel for you. There's been a couple of mine I feel I really botched on. I know it's going to be upsetting for awhile. I know exactly how you feel. I'm so sorry. I'd really like to know what the concensus is on this as to what was the cause.

I'm sorry for your loss. Perhaps it mightve been for the better, if you suspected coryza. Birds with coryza are never cured and remain carriers that are highly infective to other birds.

You did not murder her, this was an accidental killing while you did your best to help make her feel better. I've seen even experienced vets rupture air sacs in birds, accidentally kill small birds because their hearts went out from stress during routine procedures, or accidentally have the needle slip into a dangerous location. It happens to everyone. Hopefully someone here will be able to help you figure out exactly what went wrong, so you can have that certainty of knowing, and can avoid it in the future. That is all anyone can do. Thanks for caring for this hen all her life and during sickness. What a good life you gave her.
hugs.gif

Oh sweetie, you didn't kill her, it was anaphylactic shock. My friend lost her prized Stallion to it. He was kicked by a mare during breeding and she gave him a shot of penicillin for infection and he dropped dead. You never know if your animal (or people) is allergic to penicillin until you give them the first shot. I'm always nervous when I have to give penicillin the first time.

You were helping her and there was no way for you to know she was allergic. She died peacefully in arms that loved her. Don't beat yourself up, you didn't kill her.

There are times when we feel like
he.gif
and
barnie.gif
but we know you ment
love.gif
for her. You were trying to do your best. Please do not beat yourself up. We all make mistakes. Sending you many
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif

Mollie

Very sorry for the loss of your hen
sad.png

For future reference 4cc is a HUGE dose. Mine when dosed get 0.5 (1/2 cc) for large fowl. Assuming you are using Procaine G at the strength of solution that you have is 30000IU per kg (2.2lb) of bird- so a 2kg (approx 4.4lb) hen would want 0.2cc of penicillin each day for 7 days.

I dont think it was anaphylactic shock , as it would not be that immediate with the injection given intramuscular . I suspect the penicillin injection was given in the Interclavicular air sac or the anterior thoracic air sacs- located in the area you described. Also because chickens have air sacs found all over the body it is very possible that it was suffocated during restraint... i know it sounds impossible but it happens all the time. it does not take any great amount of pressure so it could easily be done on accident.
You should not feel guilty, as your intentions were good but it should be reflected on as a lesson learned - if you do not know the
anatomy ,chemistry and physiology of poultry you should not be performing at home medical care . Unfortunately the feed stores do a lot of encouraging and obviously supplying, but the best advice they could give someone is to seek professional help

hugs.gif
for future use...I agree with the fact that 4cc is a huge dose, but Penicillin can be given under the skin (SQ) it diesn't have to be in the muscle. Next time pick the skin up on the back up by the neck and inject under the skin. It does sting when given IM or SQ, but not enough to kill them. SQ is a safer route of administration if you are unsure about muscular injections. Or if you want, try the leg muscle instead, that too is less dangerous. Be sure to aspirate back before injecting...always. you should not get air/blood or anything.
I am sorry you lost your hen. Sucks when you try so hard to make them better and it doesn't work, makes it even harder for me.

JP101010I wrote: dont think it was anaphylactic shock , as it would not be that immediate with the injection given intramuscular.

Well, we can't guarantee something else didn't go wrong but intramuscular penicillin dropped a 1200 pound stallion immediately so I'm still putting it out there as a high probability.

I'm reading all the suggestions for giving chickens injections as I believe it would be very difficult! I give injections to horses, dogs and cats but have never had to inject a bird and would be very nervous.​

Back
Top Bottom