1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I must be a monster

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Matt A NC, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    I met some folks today that think I am horrible for eating birds I raise.

I wasn't raise with alot, but we always had what we needed. I was taught to never waste anything.

Right now I have 99 chickens. All, except the 5 inside RIR chicks, have names. They are forsale and I will leave that to their new owner. Most get names based on physical traits, breed, or their personality.

I have different categories for birds.

Production: These are my layers. My main layers are black Australorps. Any extra Roos that hatch are either sold as meat birds or processed by us. I do manage to find homes for some. Once a layer hits 4-5 years old they are processed as stewing hens. This is the hard part. They have been here for so long, but by this point they won't lay very well and I don't have space for all the retirees.

Show/Breeders: Any extras or culls are moved to the production category with the hope I can find homes for them.

PETS: These are here for their entire lives. If one ever dies they are given a proper burial. Alot of my show birds fall into this category as well. Especially the Bantams. I do everything I can to find homes for any that I just don't have room for. Many hatchlings have been given away to what I hoped were fabulous homes.

All birds are treated well. I believe even a meat rooster deserves to be given a good life, even if only for a few months. I do spend alot more time with the Pets and Show birds.

Matt

2. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    ask them if they eat at KFC, or buy a rotisserie chicken. lol
    at least you know where your meat comes from!!!!!!!!!

3. FrizzleFreak

FrizzleFreak Chillin' With My Peeps

Your lifestyle choice, not theirs.
    I believe that vegetarians are in denial. I'm sorry, and I know I'm gonna ruffle some feathers, but vegetarianism is not realistic. If you want to argue, please PM me and keep it off the forum.
    I applaud you for giving the birds the life they deserve-and then giving yourself the life YOU deserve, which should include healthy, well-raised meat. So keep up the good work!

4. Sock Puppet

Sock Puppet Grumpy Hen

Mar 3, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    Its not horrible, its life [​IMG] I'll eat mine if and when I have too.

5. hennypenny9

hennypenny9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Those people probably were raised the opposite of you, so it isn't surprising that they have different opinions. I think they're kidding themselves if they think you're the horrible one, but whatev.

Personally, if I see a chicken, my mind says "pet" so I would have a bad time doing it myself. But you know where your meat comes from, and you give it a good life, and I appreciate that.

6. FrenchHen

FrenchHen Chicken Ambassador

Jan 26, 2009
    Bagshot Row
    I guess I'll be a monster in a couple more weeks.
    Can we call you chicken monster? It can be a freaky new sesame street character.

7. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    I know I shouldn't let folks like that get under my skin, but they do. I seem to encounter at least a couple each year that have the same opinion.

Matt

8. FrenchHen

FrenchHen Chicken Ambassador

Jan 26, 2009
    Bagshot Row
    Some folks are just like chiggers, the just burrow and irritate!

I unnerved a vegetarian (not intentionally) when I mentioned that our eggs are fertile. He's a good friend too.

I felt bad, but not too bad. He hadn't eaten any.

9. acheeknmanbestfren

acheeknmanbestfren Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2009
    I see my chickens as a resource that provides for my family - which is always my first priority.

No, you're not a monster, quite to the contrary I'd wager! [​IMG]

10. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

My husband was brought up on a farm in upstate N.Y. and ate their chickens, etc. He tells me, he does not have that way of life anymore, so he doesn't need to raise them for food. I applaud you for raising them so well, even if they are your food, you are giving them the life they were meant to have now, right? You are not abusing them, you care for them, as you would any animal you own. Now, what I hear of KFC, now thats a horse of a very different color! Keep up your good work. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by