I musta lost my mind at Tractor Supply.....

ChickenLegs13

Songster
6 Years
Sep 4, 2013
Lower Alabama
Every week when I'm at TSC I stop and look at the chicks & ducklings. I always tell myself "You got enough birds already, move on!" And I always agree with myself and move on.
I have about 30 pampered hens, 50 chicks, a jillion Coturnix quail and 1 viscious hateful assault duck.

I'm not some emotional woman overwhelmed by the "aww they're so cute" factor prone to spontanous purchases. I'm a grumpy old man and don't care much for cuddly, cute, precious and all that crap. I hatch my own so you'd never catch me buying chicks at a store.
I learned from reading these boards that rich people buy their chickens from a breeder and poor people hatch their own. Newbies, city people and everybody else buys weak, diseased, inferior hatchery stock from the feed store. Me, I'm just a cheapskate that squeezes a penny till it's thin as a dime.

Anyway, Tuesday they had straight run special of Cornish, RIR, and ducks. I looked at them little fuzzy butts and thought "Hmmm...$1.99....Won't hurt to get a few meat birds." My heritage roosters have about as much meat as a scrawny buzzard. Them being cute little fat yellow & white tennis ball looking rollie pollies running around going peep peep peep had nothing to do with it. Chicken dinners is what I was thinking about because it was 5 pm and I was hungry. It sounded like they were saying eatme eatme eatme. Nahhh...I got enough birds already. Get my feed and go home, I told myself.

I went to the feed aisle, loaded up my buggy and headed to the check out. As I approached the chick section I took one last look and told the lady "Gimme me 5 of those Cornish Rocks." The chick lady said the minimum purchase was 6 chicks. Darnit, that's $12, I only wanted to break a $10 bill, not a $20 bill. "Ok, gimme 6 of them Cornish Rocks then. Catch me the biggest fattest ones in the tub." She said reason they were so big is they were 2 weeks old. Well, if I gotta break a $20 I mezwell get an even 10 chicks so....."Gimme 4 of them Rhode Island Reds too." They were much smaller, she said they were 3 days old, just got them in the day before.
If I'm lucky one of the RIR will be a rooster. I need a new RIR rooster because mine is about 100 years old and serves no purpose other than being a feed hogging yard ornament.

Ok, I only wanted 5 chicks and now I'm getting 10. They're multiplying and I haven't even made it to the check out yet. At the check out I give the cash register guy a dumb look and ask "Do you think this is enough feed for my 10 baby chicks?" I had 150 # of feed in my buggy. He just grunted cause he doesn't like me because every time they ask for my phone # I tell him I don't have one and even if I did I wouldn't give it to him.

On the way home I'm thinking why in the heck did I just buy chickens? What am I gonna tell my wife? I'm not worried about her being mad, I was worried that she might LOL @ me for buying store bought chicks. What am I gonna tell my other chickens? I feel guilty like I'm cheating on my own loyal hens. Maybe my wife is in the house watching tv and won't see me pull in the drive and I can go hide my new store bought chickens real quick. I hoped she was making supper but she can see out the kitchen window and see me in the chickenyard. You can see inside every one of my pens & cages from any window on the back side of my house. If all goes well, I can sneak unseen through the chickenyard and into the brooder pen and put my new chicks into the brooder cage with my last hatch and act like they been there all along. They're about the same age and size. Maybe she won't notice the new white and yellow chicks mixed in with my last hatch, which is all black chicks.

No such luck! I walk around the corner of the house with a sack of feed on my shoulder and a box of chicks on my hand and there she is, as usual, smoking a cigarette at our break area table that's about 20' from the main pen door. Oh crap, BUSTED! My blood runs cold. I start to panic and feel like a trapped animal. I want to run but there's nowhere to run. I want to hide but there's nowhere to hide. Like the possum running back & forth in the road when the killer headlights are approaching.

Instanly my training kicks in and I regain control of myself. I kinda turn sideways and try to hide the box of now LOUDLY cheeping chicks behind my leg and try not look at her as I walk past. She's younger and smarter than me, has all kinds of college degrees plus she can read minds. She smells a rat. She takes a drag from her cig, disdainfully blows smoke in my direction and asks, no, she demands, "What did you buy." The scary thing is that she was smiling. OMG she knows! How does she know? The people at TSC musta called and told her. Probably the cute pony tail girl that works the hay trailer. She don't like me because last month I told her if she'd go for a roll in that hay I'd buy the whole trailer load. Whoa, calm down, maybe I'm just being paranoid and she's smiling cause she's glad to see me. So I explain to her "Feed, what the heck do you think is in these big yellow bags I'm always toting into the hen house?" Those chicks didn't peep 1 time on the way home but now the little box in my hand sounds like it contains a whole broiler house full of chickens. She just keeps smiling at me but her smile is saying don't even try it you lying piece of worthless filth. She's been married to me 3 long years and has me figured out. So I hand her the box of chicks and dissappear into the henhouse with my head hanging in shame to stack the feed.

Honestly folks, I haven't bought a store bought chick since about 1977, till last Tuesday. It was a different experience anyway.

Glad yall like my post! Everything I wrote was true and that's exactly how it happened.
Actually I had been considering raising a few meat birds for several years now but was too busy with my other poultry endeavours using birds that I already owned. I'm a small time chicken egg & quail meat peddler and that occupies most of my time & resources.

I noticed one thing since I bought chicks 40 years ago: back in the goodle days the feed stores didn't keep chicks in spacious water troughs with wood shavings. They kept them packed wall to wall in 6 tiered battery cages, like a modern Quail Jail. If you bought several chicks they put them in a paper bag, folded the top over, poked a few holes in it with a pencil and said there ya go. They didn't have fancy little speciality boxes with coupons, advertisments and instructions & safety warnings printed on the side. I've never owned any barnyard animals that came with instructions and safety warnings. If they would have had instructions they probably would have said: "Welcome to your new cow. For best results feed plenty of green grass & pond water daily. Don't forget to wash your hands before supper."

Anyway, I dumped the new chicks in with my ten 2 week old Black Copper Marans. Big difference between my BCM and Cornish X. I weighed them, both breeds are same age & weighed the same, 4-6 oz but the BCM actually look like small chickens and the Cornish look like tennis balls with big orange feet. If I sneak up and bang on the side of the cage the BCM flush like a covey of quail, the Cornish just lay there and look at me like "Huh? What's up dude?" Their little fat round faces look like they're always happy & smiling. Really mellow & docile birds.
The RIR are much smaller @ 2-1/2 oz but they're only 3-4 days old. That's a tad bigger than the RIR chicks I produce from my own hens. That's cool though, I breed for egg size, not carcass size. I'm sure if any are pullets they'll lay nice eggs. I lost one of the RIR. He was weak & sluggish and lasted a little less than 24 hours. It's dissappointing when a chick dies, even more so since it's one I paid for. Oh well, that's the way it goes in the chicken world.

Every time I come back from tsc my husband is like "woman! What have you bought now?!?" and "We have enough birds" mind you we only have 7 adult chickens as well as 8 pullets in the intermediate pen as well as 3 ducks and and 8 chick's in the brooder in the house. I told him you should see how many some of the folks on byc have! If chickens were a drug I'd be a recreational user and some folks I've seen are all out hard core addicts lol that may be my path though if I keep going at this rate...I have an incubator and I'm not afraid to use it!

Last edited:
lau.gif
Oh gosh! Great Story!!

Love it!!

love.gif

I laughed at your story and almost cried remembering all the times I went to a friend's house or the store and was giddy leaving with a mini donkey, a baby goat, a bottle-feeding raccoon - until about a mile down the road when I started worrying how I was going to hide another one from my husband. It's a sobering moment for sure.

Back
Top Bottom