I need a chick poop expert please...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by guesswhatchickenbutt, Apr 3, 2009.

1. guesswhatchickenbutt

guesswhatchickenbutt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Central FL
    I have 3 chicks that I got last Saturday - so they're just over a week old. I've got an EE, BR and BO... They've been on pine shavings with paper towel on top. Two days ago I removed the paper towel, added some Timothy Hay and let them pick around on the pine shavings since they've been growing so well and eating their chick starter.

Normal chick poops...until tonight.

I just went in to check on them and I noticed the BR doing very liquid yellow poops. The EE is still pooping regularly... then the BO squated down and pooped out a 2" piece of Timothy Hay.

So.... I'm new to chicks. Should I be concerned about any of this?

Just to be on the safe side, I put down two layers of paper towel for them to sleep on tonight. I know they'll still find a way to get the shavings and hay out from under the towel, but I figured it couldn't hurt to lay down paper towel again.

Is the runny yellow poop cause for concern? She seems healthy otherwise. Her previous poops had been a typical chick poop - just like the other two.

Should I worry about my BO pooping out a piece of hay?

Sorry for the poop talk, but chicks and poop go hand-in-hand and since I'm new at this I'd love to hear some advice from a seasoned chick raiser.

Thanks in advance.

2. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    i am not sure but just shavings or pine pellets are fine maybe they dont know not to eat the hay i would not use it and maybe get a little chick grit to help digest what they did eat.

3. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    First, congrats on the new babies! Aren't they incredibly endearing???

Regarding poop. I know me some chicken poop. lol

I wouldn't worry too much about the poop unless you see it very regularly and the chick in question is acting sick.

Get rid of the timothy hay as a litter right away. Chicks do best on pine shavings or even peat moss. Hay can cause problems by impacting the crop and generally getting caught up in the intestinal tract. Chickens do eat grass - a lot of it - but they don't need hay. Its length can get bunched up inside of them.

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Congratulations on your babies. I have a tray of pine shaving in the brooder. I haven't had any problems with their poop. There are pictures on my BYC Page.

5. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
  6. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Quote:THANKS! That was a VERY informative article. Sure glad that I read it.

7. guesswhatchickenbutt

guesswhatchickenbutt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Central FL
    You guys are the BEST!!

JennsPeeps - thanks, I took out the hay. It's so hard to know what to do. I've read in so many places that chicks like to sit in hay and that people put hay in with the shavings to give them something to nestle down in and play with. It's so hard when you're new to know what's harmless and what is possibly harmful. Hay is out, but the shavings are still there. I assume it's okay for me to remove the papertowel.

chickensioux - that website is GREAT! Looks like I need to read up on this Ceacal dropping business because that's what it looked like this chick was pooping out. It was a LOT easier to see pictures!! What a great site.

On a side note, from a personal viewpoint, I think it's tough when you're only raising 3 chicks. I really need all three of these little girls to pull through and become three big fat happy hens. I know all chicken owners love their chickens, but I think if you have large numbers you can afford to have one die off without having a major fit. When you can only have three - and you're new at it - you become an anxious mother hen if one seems like they might have an issue. I just checked on them this morning and they're all running around peeping, so hopefully that's a good sign.

Crossing fingers....

THANKS again for the great input.

8. Get a small bag of "peat moss" and add it in along with the pine shavings. Also get some "chick grit" they have this at the feed stores and you can get the moss at wally world. Use an 8 to 1 pine to moss.

Feed them some bread, small pieces every other day. Keep lots of water available and keep the starter available 24/7 .

Chicks really like hay, but it is a bit early for this. Alfalfa cubes broken up can be used, but sparingly.

Put a small amount of electrolytes in their water. Also, if you really get ambitious you can get poly vi so (without iron) and administer in small doses.

Watch your chicks bums for pasty butt. ENJOY

9. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Quote:I know exactly what you mean. I started with 3, too. In my brooder right now I've got just 2. I suspect one may be a roo ( [​IMG] ), which could mean that I'll be introducing a lone bird to an established flock of 3. It's hard when you've got a small flock like we do and you're counting on all of the birds to survive to adulthood.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by