I need a Chow Chow recipe, got one?

Maybe its a southern thing, I don't really know. All I know is it is good. People eat it in beans, on hot dogs ect, ect. Its made with cabbage, sugar, peppers, onions,water,vinager,Jalaoenos,cayenne pepper,& spices. I know whats in it, I just don't know how to make it.

Are you referring to "Puppy Chow"... make with Chex or Crispex Cereal? If so... I've got a couple recipes and will post. First... I gotta locate them!

Quote:
Whewww, I saw this post on the recent posts and had to take a look... I was afraid your dog killed your birds and you wanted to cook it.
lol.png
The only Chow Chow I know of is a breed of dog.
wink.png

Quote:
No , actually its a RELISH, that you put on food. However I would love your 'Puppy Chow" recipes also. Please PM it to me if you don't mind.

Last edited:
lau.gif
lau.gif
oh... chow-chow! Got one of those recipes too!
gig.gif

Here goes...

1 gal. cabbage
1 gal green tomatoes
1 qt. onions
6 bell peppers
2 bunches celery
1 c. salt, scant
3 T mustard seed
4 T mustard
2 T. ginger
2 T. cinnamon
1 T cloves
1 T. nutmeg
4 T. turmeric
2 hot peppers, diced (optional)
3 lbs. sugar
2 qts. vinegar

Chop but do not grind vegetables. Reserve and refrigerate celery. Mix all vegetables except celery in large pan, spinkle with salt and let stand overnight. Next day, drain all vegetables, squeezing out surplus juice. Add celery, put all ingredients into large vessel and allow to come to a fast boil. Spoon into jars, seal and process.

Back
Top Bottom