I need a dog to protect my chicken

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by jonjoka, Dec 2, 2008.

1. jonjoka

jonjoka Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2008
    Sorry to everyone who have experienced neighbours dogs killing the chickens. I lost six not long ago (those neighbours has so far moved) and I lost one to a dog that i have no idea where he comes from. Anyone have a clue a kind of dog I could get to protect them. I would like for them to scratch around. They don't even go very far, just around home. I would like a dog that would chase those strange dogs away. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

2. arllcountrygirl

arllcountrygirl lavender nutt

3. Indiana hens

Indiana hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Pendleton, Indiana
    Mine is 3/4 collie and 1/4 Akita. His mom was 1/2 Akita and a great hunter. Buddie is neutered and I worked alot with him. He is not for sale. I hope to have a dog just like him when he leaves us. He loves everyone without a mask. Great with kids. He onlt killed 1 chicken. That was my pet Buff rooster. I haven't had a pet chicken since. He hates land predators! He even leaves live bunnies alone. Dead bunnies are fair game. Train them they are smart!

4. Hobbley_Farm

Hobbley_Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    Pilot Mountain, NC
    I can only suggest two things. A Great Pyrenees and a fence for the chickens when you're not there to supervise. Even a great Pyrenees COULD go after your chickens. Though it seems that breed is one of the least likely to do so. We're actually in a similar boat. We're looking for another dog to be more protective of our property. We do have sufficient fencing for our chickens (thus far) but are adding more goats and sheep sometime within the next few months. We have TONS of dogs come through our property, and our crazy dogs have no problem in the world with it. (We really socialized them extremely well when they were pups....now they don't protect anything). ATM we're looking at an animal shelter who has a rottie/st bernard mix that might just fit the bill. For what we want, at least. But you really sound like a great Pyrenees would suit you [​IMG] Good Luck

5. hensdeliverthegoods

hensdeliverthegoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Catawba County, NC
    Almost any of the herding breeds can easily be trained to protect your flock. My German Shepherd does a superb job of it. She also protects our family, which is one of the reasons I love the breed so much. Hope you find that perfect dog for you soon. [​IMG]

6. Felicitas

Felicitas Chillin' With My Peeps

A Great Pyrenees or other livestock guard breed, or a small herding dog like a Sheltie or a Corgi - this last was actually bred to herd poultry. Any of these breeds will need to be trained, but the fact that these dogs already have the instinct in them will make that process a little more straightforward.

7. Ugly Cowboy

Ugly Cowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2008
    Corn, OK
    Anatolian Shepherd

8. RIVERA69R

RIVERA69R Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    VENICE FL
    I have a yellow lab/sheperd mix and a chow/sheperd mix I will be getting chickens in a month and will try to train them to at least not eat them lol but also protect them very good dogs and good with my indoor lovebird

9. Felicitas

Felicitas Chillin' With My Peeps

Here's a good, thorough article on training livestock guard dogs to work with poultry. It is specific to Anatolian Shepherds but it goes for any of these breeds:

http://www.anatoliandog.org/poultry.htm

10. kobesmom81

kobesmom81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2008
    Atwater, CA
    We have a Queensland Heeler who is very protective of us, our cats and chickens. When we first got chickens he was a little wary and if the chickens got too excited so did the dog. But he never killed one and now that he is used to them he doesn't bother them at all but will chase off cats or other things if they get in the yard.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by