I need a good pressure canner...

mich9510

Songster
Jul 21, 2016
Southwest PA
That won't break the bank. As we are slowly trying to become more self sufficient I've realized that I need to do some canning for the winter. I have very little money but I need a pressure canner for my low acid foods. I've looked on eBay and there are some that aren't too expensive but I don't know how big and fancy I need to get. This is my first year canning and I have tons of zucchini, cukes, pears, and Apple's to can. Along with tomatoes.... What do you all recommend?

None of the gauged pressure canners are cheap - but a reasonably priced one with a pressure gauge will last you for years - you may have to replace the rubber gasket but not often.

I have the smaller Presto model and trust it - but you can't do water bath canning for quart jars and would need a separate water bath canner for those needs.

You can do tomatoes and pickles in a water bath - pickles are quick, but tomatoes are a very long boil.

Some folks have lucked up on finding theirs in flea markets - but if the gauge doesn't work, I would not trust it.

You can freeze the tomatoes while you decide?

I can tell you what not to buy! I bought a Mirro 16 qt. Right out of the box, it was a nightmare. The weight that goes over the vent did not work right, and I basically ruined 17 pints of green beans b/c their instruction manual and customer service was so poor. After processing the second batch, I again called customer service, and was told to send the canner back AT MY EXPENSE. I refused to accept that, and got a manager to issue a UPS shipping label. In the mean time, I'm left with a garden full of produce, and no canner. 3 week wait for return of the Mirro, and to be honest, I have lost all faith in the product. I've ordered a Presto with dial gauge.

Just put in an offer on a Preston 16 quarterback pressure scanner. $50 plus shipping. New in box. Has pressure gauge so hopefully they accept.

I have a Presto 16qt. - have used it for several years and have been quite happy with it.

If you have a local Walmart or Ace hardware, you may luck out and find one there, but this time of year it's hard to find a pressure canner.

As @sunflour suggested a water bath canner is ideal for pickles and jellies, so if you are canning "high acid" foods you may want to get one of those as well. I used to water bath my tomatoes, but have found it's more convenient to pressure can or freeze them.

Good luck on your quest!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom