I need a GREAT Peafowl pen/coop layout!

LilbitChicken

Songster
10 Years
May 5, 2009
I am considering adopting a pair of peafowl, in the next 2 weeks...
big_smile.png

BUT my DH and I are VERY picky about how our chicken coops and enclosed runs were made for what we needed and wanted.
NOW the thought of peafowl enclosure is overwhelming!
barnie.gif

We have the room, and have done soooo much reading. BUT does anyone have pics of their peafowl pens...etc........
big_smile.png

Hi. I saw a pen (for peahens/peacocks) that someone made out of the frame of a greenhouse. It was the type that is kind of dome/arch shaped. The put poultry fencing around the outside. It led into an old shed. Hope that helps.
wink.png

I keep a pair of pea's. I built the pen with the intention of keeping a grass ground cover. Thus little if any mud. My pen is 20 x 24. The sides are only 3 ft high, should be about 5 ft. The center is 6 1/2 ft high. This allows space for the full fan to be extended. The ground has stayed grass covered, except their dusting holes. I used chicken wire for sides and top. Put a roost about 4 ft high in the middle. They really enjoy it.
Favorite pea enjoyment is listening to their "scream" especially on rainy days as the scream echos off the trees and gives the impression of the jungle.
They usually have 2 hutches of eggs ever year if I take the first hatch away right away. First hatch this year had 6 and they were sold before they even hatched.

A friend of ours uses the metal carports for their pea's. They put fence around 3 sides and have an outside run coming off the 4th side. Then they have 2 by 12's on the inside of the carport and fill that with sand. That makes an easy to clean pad under the roosts and they use hanging feeders.

Price wise I don't know if that's a cheaper route vice building with lumber?

Steve in NC

big_smile.png
Hello everyone....JUST an update.
We did a LARGE aviary 15 x 34 (the peak reaches 11 ft high) with a large 2 story "nesting area" enclosed but very roomy. (coop- i guess
hu.gif
)
ANY WAY the aviary allowed up to keep 3 trees on the inside and surrounding trees on the outside for even MORE shade.
big_smile.png

The peas have settled in fast and are SOOO quiet (NOT what we were expecting), they seem to love their area and come running when they see me for treats.
clap.gif

I named them Sweet Pea & Indy.

THANKS again!!!!

PICS<<< yes I need to work on that!
big_smile.png

We live out, of the city....so dial up is the only internet connection!
TAKES FOREVER to load anything!!!
th.gif

BUT I will post pics ...one of these nights......I WILL!
big_smile.png

Peafowls are unlike any other bird you have and this is a wonderful time of year to watch all their antics with mating season starting. I've had mine for about 3 years now and I would suggest when you first get them to keep them penned for 1 year and then let one out while the other is penned and rotate this will keep them on your property for they definitely have a mind of their own. That being said you want a big pen they'll be comfortable in. I got a large 10 by 10 chain link dog pen from Tractor Supply. It is tall enough to stand in. My husband and son put metal conduit poles bowed across the top (3 or 4) and then attached a very heavy duty tarp on top. We also secured a metal conduit pole in the center for a perch and I keep an old ladder too inside for perching. We haven't had issue with pedators that dig under and the beauty of this pen was that it was fast, easy, affordable and can be drug or moved to a different location on my property to keep the ground sanitary. Sorry I quite haven't figured out how to post pics yet, but when I do I will send one. Good Luck!!

Back
Top Bottom