I need a photo of the pliers that are used in applying pinless peepers

Carolyn252

Mother of Chickens
14 Years
Feb 23, 2009
Freeport/NassauCounty/L.I./NY
I need a photo of the pliers that are used for pinless peepers.

Home Depot doesn't have any pliers that are what I described to them.

(Squeezing on the handles causes the front ends of the pliers to move apart from each other.)

Also, I'm not sure what the tips of the pliers look like. Should they be straight (like needle-nose pliers) or
curved into right angles?

There's probably a photo already on byc, but I've looked and can't find it.
Thanks,
-Carolyn252

I don't use the pliers. If you soak them in very hot water, they get somewhat pliable. I can do it myself by wrapping the hen in a towel on my lap so that she was on her back, head toward me. I had the peepers soaking in hot water next to me. I then pried them apart and applied them. Make sure to get them into the upper part of the nostrils as if you get them on the lower part, it can make them bleed or they can scratch the peepers off. Once you have applied them a few times, it becomes very easy to do. The hens aren't going to like them much but after a few days and they learn how to get around, you will have a peaceful flock! Good luck!
smile.png

Last edited:
The plyers they are refering to is called a SNAP RING PLYERS. The open up when arms are squeesed.

Please explain to me what you are discussing in this thread? What is Pinless Peepers? What do they do and what are you trying to accomplish?

Steve

Quote:
When you have hens that constantly pluck each others feathers off the others butts, backs or other places, or you just have plain old mean hens like I have that like to get brutal with the lower ranking birds, you use these to control the meanies. They are unable to see directly in front of them with both eyes so they can not aim and fire off their beaks where they don't belong....

83358_dscn1595.jpg

Pinless peepers worked with my flock. They were pecking at each other, put the peepers on, and it resolved the problem. They are a necessary evil sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom