I need A protective Rooster... What breed has been best to you?

I need a protective rooster. I am fed up with my weeny Easter egger rooster.

I have a free range flock, and my rooster is a big wimp and just runs away at the sight of danger (rarely even warns the hens), and at the same time is very aggressive at breeding my hens. Today he ripped the face off one of my hens and I had to put her down. So, id like to know what breeds of rooster you all have and are happy with for protection abilities; I want that rooster that will fight to the death to protect his girls.

Some breeds I'm considering:

Rhode Island Red
Sumatra
Welsummer
Leghorn
Old english Game
Fayoumis

Before you comment:

-Yes, I've searched the forum
-Yes, I know it depends on each individual rooster's personality, but im trying to make an educated decision here
-Yes, I know a good coop is worth more than the best rooster
20231219_163507.jpg

I need a protective rooster. I am fed up with my weeny Easter egger rooster.

I have a free range flock, and my rooster is a big wimp and just runs away at the sight of danger (rarely even warns the hens), and at the same time is very aggressive at breeding my hens. Today he ripped the face off one of my hens and I had to put her down. So, id like to know what breeds of rooster you all have and are happy with for protection abilities; I want that rooster that will fight to the death to protect his girls.

Some breeds I'm considering:

Rhode Island Red
Sumatra
Welsummer
Leghorn
Old english Game
Fayoumis

Before you comment:

-Yes, I've searched the forum
-Yes, I know it depends on each individual rooster's personality, but im trying to make an educated decision here
-Yes, I know a good coop is worth more than the best rooster
Rhode island red

I learned a long time ago that overgeneralizing traits by breed is only partially helpful. I have 2 Bard Rock hens from different flocks and both are mean as heck, but many people jump in and say that theirs are sweet. I had a Orpington who was sweet and laid back yet others said theirs are bullies.

Having said that...I have had 2 different Welsummer roosters and both were very good. Pointing out bugs to the hens then stepping back to let them eat, chasing off a coyote and a hawk, and watching over the hens.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom