I need advice and help!!

ChickenTingz

Hatching
Jan 29, 2021
I have 2 hens and one rooster, we went on a trip and came back to the hens with what we believe to have rooster damage. We purchased two saddles but their feathers haven’t grown back and one of the hens saddle’s keep moving to the side and won’t stay on properly! Please give me a reason and advice! 😰

You need more hens for your rooster. The hen saddles help but aren't a perfect solution. I haven't found any that don't shift or occasionally get out of place. If you can't get more hens then separate the roo from the girls for part of the day so he is not over mating them.

Roosters are very good (or bad, however you want to see it) at over mating. Adding more hens, as ChicNmom has suggested, is ideal. However, please be aware that the same thing can happen to a favourite hen of a rooster. Saddles only do so much.

1611971167787.png

Just offering a permanent solution.

Keep the rooster's toenails, and spurs blunted. It won't solve the problem, but it helps some. About 2 times a year, separate the rooster from the hens. 1. During molt 2. When they get really bare back. It takes 6 weeks or a little longer for them to get their feathers back in good. During that time, up their protein a bit. It helps them grow feathers in faster, and makes for better, stronger feathers. Most feeds use vegetable protein. I find that when I give them some canned cat food, or canned mackerel a couple times a week when they're feathering, the animal protein helps build stronger feathers too.

Back
Top Bottom