I need advice from those with experience, PLEASE

VSP

Chirping
Nov 9, 2020
My flock was attacked by a bobcat last night. He managed to fall through a very small gap between a tree and the tightly secured overhead net and got trapped in the chicken yard before sundown. He could not get out. He killed all by 2 of my birds before we discovered this and got him out. I am left with 2 shaken hens. These girls have been traumatized and never been in such small numbers (I had 8).

I will want to rebuild the flock as soon as appropriate, but these girls do not need additional stress right now… Is it better for them to feel less safe in their very small number, or have others added sooner? How soon is recommended? I have introduced a small number of new pullets to a larger flock in the past, but I do not know how best to do so if the new additions outnumber the old guard. I, too, am still shaken and have no idea how to proceed. I will be very appreciative of any help here. THANK YOU.

I'm sorry you lost your flock.
Right now, treat your girls for shock. There's no hurry to get more birds.
Thank you, for your kindness and your time. Do you have any specific thoughts on special needs they may have now. I wanted to bring them in last night, but decide that the complete change of location might have made it worse. I will be giving them any extra TLC that they need... I am just lost as to exactly what that is. When this happened once before we lost one... and spent our energies securing every inch we could think of. 6 months later... this. I am still reeling...

Thank you, for your kindness and your time. Do you have any specific thoughts on special needs they may have now. I wanted to bring them in last night, but decide that the complete change of location might have made it worse. I will be giving them any extra TLC that they need... I am just lost as to exactly what that is. When this happened once before we lost one... and spent our energies securing every inch we could think of. 6 months later... this. I am still reeling...
They can sit inside, in a dark dog crate. Or their coop if if you can lock it. They need quiet, dark and warmth right now. Try to get them to drink some sugar water with a pinch of salt.

This is not as bad on them as on you. Yes they will be shaken, and possibly, one or both of them may have injuries that are not at first apparent. I hope you put them into their coop, which they know and didn't do anything else until they calm down. Sometimes doing nothing is the best. People often do too much trying to be kind. But if you did something else, don't feel guilty about it. Really if they are alive and breathing, they will be fine.

Do address the predator issue. It is hard. And it can be darn difficult in truly getting something of adequate size to be proof against some very clever predators. Try again.

As to chickens personal trauma, I have been in this situation, more than once. With in two days, they are fine. Completely calmed down. May take a couple of days more off of laying. Once they are laying - you certainly can add more birds.

This time of year, it will be easy to add chicks, or you can look around, sometimes people have birds to sell. There are pros and cons to each.

It is much tougher on you, than it is on the birds you have left.

Mrs K

Thank you both. Just reading words from others (and reassurance that my instinct so far has held up,) is helpful. I DID leave them in their very safe completely wrapped with hardware cloth coop and they will not have yard access for a while. So we will address whatever we can. Will also have a wildlife expert chime in since I got it all on camera and have a good look at this large and cunning predator. Still shocking that h got himself in,...and frustrating as hell that it was for nothing. He was trapped and panicked and left as hungry as he arrived, leaving me the horror of the scene. Again. thank you. I am open to any more words of wisdom about how best to introduce more girls than I have remaining for when the time is right. It will be backwards from my previous experience and I am not clear on how best to approach it. Yes, I have time... but thinking about then helps get my mind off how I feel right now. :/

My flock was attacked by a bobcat last night. He managed to fall through a very small gap between a tree and the tightly secured overhead net and got trapped in the chicken yard before sundown. He could not get out. He killed all by 2 of my birds before we discovered this and got him out. I am left with 2 shaken hens. These girls have been traumatized and never been in such small numbers (I had 8).

I will want to rebuild the flock as soon as appropriate, but these girls do not need additional stress right now… Is it better for them to feel less safe in their very small number, or have others added sooner? How soon is recommended? I have introduced a small number of new pullets to a larger flock in the past, but I do not know how best to do so if the new additions outnumber the old guard. I, too, am still shaken and have no idea how to proceed. I will be very appreciative of any help here. THANK YOU.

Thank you both. Just reading words from others (and reassurance that my instinct so far has held up,) is helpful. I DID leave them in their very safe completely wrapped with hardware cloth coop and they will not have yard access for a while. So we will address whatever we can. Will also have a wildlife expert chime in since I got it all on camera and have a good look at this large and cunning predator. Still shocking that h got himself in,...and frustrating as hell that it was for nothing. He was trapped and panicked and left as hungry as he arrived, leaving me the horror of the scene. Again. thank you. I am open to any more words of wisdom about how best to introduce more girls than I have remaining for when the time is right. It will be backwards from my previous experience and I am not clear on how best to approach it. Yes, I have time... but thinking about then helps get my mind off how I feel right now. :/
I am so sorry that you experienced this for you and your flock.

Did you end the bobcat for good/kill it?
I'd focus on making your chicken area predator proof first before even thinking about adding any new birds.
Did not kill it. Had no means to do so, and not sure I could... though now I'd like to (😉). We had spent so much to secure the yard after the first time this happened (lost one then) and we thought we had ourselves well covered. They are also locked into the coop before sunset as an extra precaution. We were 5 minutes later last night (day length changing threw us off) and he had been in for about 10-15 minutes, so he arrived well into daylight hours. He bounced around on the top of the overhead netting for much of that time. Then somehow fell through in the gap where the net is secured around a tree. There is NO indication of a tear or break. It seems a fluke, he could not get out. We had to open the doors and stand back until he figured out that they had been opened. it all took about 35-60 seconds. The girls were not yet seen. We will be taking further precautions in that spot before the yard is in use again. Sad on every level. Contacting wildlife control and sending videos, I hate this part of country life...love the rest. Thank you for writing.

I’m so sorry to hear this! This happened to me a couple months back. The bobcat killed two of my girls, attacked another (it survived) put another into pretty severe shock, and cut and bruised the rest. I remember that I was more traumatized then the chickens!! I know how scary and horrible this is and I’m so so sorry.

Make sure you isolate your two girls in a calm, dark area. Some sugar water can help bring them out of it. Mine also loved some scrambled eggs and it gave them some extra protein. Check them both over very well for any puncture wounds or cuts or bruises. Sometimes you can’t tell first glance. I’m sure they will be ok tho, just give them a couple days to recover.

I’m more concerned about you tho! I know how devastating it can be. Hang in there, and give yourself some time to process all this! Don’t blame yourself either. This could happen to anyone, and bobcats can be so sly and clever!

I’m here if you need more advice or just some reassurance/comfort.

Back
Top Bottom