I need advice from those with experience, PLEASE

I’m so sorry to hear this! This happened to me a couple months back. The bobcat killed two of my girls, attacked another (it survived) put another into pretty severe shock, and cut and bruised the rest. I remember that I was more traumatized then the chickens!! I know how scary and horrible this is and I’m so so sorry.

Make sure you isolate your two girls in a calm, dark area. Some sugar water can help bring them out of it. Mine also loved some scrambled eggs and it gave them some extra protein. Check them both over very well for any puncture wounds or cuts or bruises. Sometimes you can’t tell first glance. I’m sure they will be ok tho, just give them a couple days to recover.

I’m more concerned about you tho! I know how devastating it can be. Hang in there, and give yourself some time to process all this! Don’t blame yourself either. This could happen to anyone, and bobcats can be so sly and clever!

I’m here if you need more advice or just some reassurance/comfort.
Thank you. You made me cry for the first time since this happened last night. Maybe the shock is wearing off of me as well? Have a good day. I have work ahead in mine (!)

All, One more question (for now). What is the thought behind dark, rather thanb sunlight? It is not a problem, since I am keeping them in and the cook is covered for the rain we had been having, but it is a gorgeous sunny day, and I wondered. Also, (I guess that is two more questions) I put a camera into the coop so that I can keep an eye on the two. One has not left the perch yet. How do I get her to drink or eat if she refuses, or is it safe to wait longer. It has not been about 16 hours +/- Thank you.

I’m so sorry to hear this. My first step would be to kill that thing. Rebuild the flock after. I’m not a chicken but power in numbers with prey type animals. Glad it wasn’t a complete total loss.

Personally, I would let them out the next day. I do think the sunshine is important for chickens health. Chickens hate change, it truly upsets them, so that is what I was thinking when you put them back in their coop.

Often times predators do come back. But that trapped bobcat might not. Thing is, he is not the only predator in the area. So you do need to address that the best you can. Coons have been my nemesis. But my last big attack was coyotes in the daylight.

Sometimes this hobby sucks!

Mrs K

Personally, I would let them out the next day. I do think the sunshine is important for chickens health. Chickens hate change, it truly upsets them, so that is what I was thinking when you put them back in their coop.

Often times predators do come back. But that trapped bobcat might not. Thing is, he is not the only predator in the area. So you do need to address that the best you can. Coons have been my nemesis. But my last big attack was coyotes in the daylight.

Sometimes this hobby sucks!

Mrs K
Yes. But mostly that is not the case and THAT is what I am working to remember right now. Same with living in this lovely countryside... it comes with these wildlife neighbors. This converted. city girl is still working on that part. Thank you for your kindness and time. I agree that keeping them from the usual and the sun does not seem right, but given the advice I decided to let the "girls" make the call. I opened the door to the yard for them while I worked on the net reinforcement. They both came out... one immediately and eagerly and the other slowly and unsure. But they stayed out until I had to go back to the house and insisted they go in , which they did without complaint. Neither ate or drank while I was there... I offered their "greatest hits", so I am keeping an eye on that. If that does not change tomorrow I will be begging for more ideas on that front. I offered oatmeal, scrambled eggs, greens, scratch... not all at the same time and not much at a time, just trying to see if I could entice them., Oh, and sugar water along with the regular. That's it for today's report . .

I’m so sorry to hear this! This happened to me a couple months back. The bobcat killed two of my girls, attacked another (it survived) put another into pretty severe shock, and cut and bruised the rest. I remember that I was more traumatized then the chickens!! I know how scary and horrible this is and I’m so so sorry.

Make sure you isolate your two girls in a calm, dark area. Some sugar water can help bring them out of it. Mine also loved some scrambled eggs and it gave them some extra protein. Check them both over very well for any puncture wounds or cuts or bruises. Sometimes you can’t tell first glance. I’m sure they will be ok tho, just give them a couple days to recover.

I’m more concerned about you tho! I know how devastating it can be. Hang in there, and give yourself some time to process all this! Don’t blame yourself either. This could happen to anyone, and bobcats can be so sly and clever!

I’m here if you need more advice or just some reassurance/comfort.
I do not post here much, and the threads are confusing me... I thought I replied to you directly and I am not sure from what I see now. I want to be sure to thank you for your time and thoughtfulness. While I am upset and calming as we do the needed work all day, I think the girls are having a harder time of it. The two that survived are the two most skittish and now instead of following the lead of their elders or alphas, they seem as lost as they do shaken. One more than the other, by far. I spent the en tire day out in the chicken yard with them. Mostly working on the net, but also sitting quietly nearby. They slept under a bush just a yard from me in the sun shine until I made them go in because I will now not let them be out without supervision until their 21st birthdays 😉 Kidding. until all the reenforcement is completed tomorrow and then when I feel better about it (which WILL be considerably longer, but probably not decades.)

Back
Top Bottom