I need advice/help asap

Well tried draining any fluid but nothing. Now I am wondering if he has an infection or tumor. The area below the vent towards his belly is still swollen and now seems hot to the touch like there is a fever. Going to hand feed him and try a tetracycline pill. Can't give up..

It almost sounds like he might have some sort of abscess. Have you looked carefully at the swollen area to see if there is any wound, however small, that may have become infected? I haven't dealt with an abscess in my birds, but on people a large abscess can develop from something as small as the size of a pimple. It's also possible that there may be an internal abscess, or maybe a cyst of some sort? The "hot to the touch" is generally an indication of infection. How did you attempt to drain it?

I agree if there is heat there is most likely and infection. Good luck.
fl.gif

I though there might be fluid so I read up on Peter Brown (aka the chicken doctor from FeatherFanciers) on how to drain fluid if it is a case of Ascities. I used a 20 gauge needle and inserted the needle not very far into the bottom of his body cavity where the swelling is but no drainage. I have managed to get him to eat a runny half boiled egg so thats good. I have him in a spare bathroom so he doesn't have to burn energy staying warm. I can fix his food easy and check his droppings. The vets around here don't know that much about chickens and will want to charge a big bill. I mixed the pill in his food but tomorrow if he is still fairly strong I am going to give him another pill down the throat. I didn't noticed any wounds on the swollen area. He has talked alittle but nothing like some of my other young cockerels who talk and dance around. Hope he has a strong will to live.

Back
Top Bottom