I need advice on adding chickens to my flock

Zannadoot

Hatching
6 Years
Jun 30, 2013
Louisville, Kentucky
I have 2 chickens, a cochin, and an australorp. They are both about a year and a half old. I ordered 3 new babies chicks, which are about 14 weeks old now. I have an orpington, a bantam silkie, and a mille fleur d'uccle. For the past few weeks, I've been letting the babies have run of the coop, and the big girls have the yard. At night, I put the big girls in a cage inside the coop so they are protected, but can't get to the babies in the morning. They seem to slowly be getting use to the babies. The first week they made loud complaining noises and paced around the coop trying to get to the babies to peck at them. I just started letting all of them in the yard for small amounts of time, only when I can be on watch. The big girls mostly ignore them, but sneak up once in awhile to peck at them. So far only on the back...no head shots that I've seen.

I've read that you shouldn't try and put babies in with grown hens, that you should wait till they are full grown. How many months should the babies be before I try it? It's already October, and I'm not sure what to do about their living situation when it gets cold if I still need to keep them apart.

I also heard that when I do try and combine them, that I should put them all together in the middle of the night so that they wake up together. I'm nervous about this part because of the bantams, especially my tiny little d'uccle. I've grown extremely attached to her and don't know what I'd do if she got hurt!!

How long should I wait before I try and combine the two groups? If it's longer than another month, what should I do about winter? Will I have any problems introducing the 2 bantams in with the bigger girls? Any other tips to make combining all of them go smoother so they don't get hurt??? Thank you!!

Back
Top Bottom