I need all the info I can get on ducks please

tat2edlady

Songster
11 Years
Apr 9, 2008
I am hatching out ducks for the first time under 4 broody chickens. Should I take them when they hatch or let mama take care of them.

I know they need different food and chic food is bad for them and that they need to have deep dish for water. what eles do I need to know.Any info will help me and if you got pic or links please post these are mutt ducks not sure what they are as they (eggs) where given to me.

Quote:
I've always fed mine medicated chick starter. It's fine as long as the only thing in it is amprolium which is a cocci preventative....not really a medication even tho that's what they call it.

The only suggestion is one I got from a lady here on their waterers.....Ducks are messy!!!! I think Adam misnamed pigs and ducks back in the Garden of Eden.....LOL!!! (They should be called Water Pigs or something of the sort) She suggested using gallon jugs and cutting holes in the sides big enough for them to drink but not to climb into, and of course adjusted for their height so they can drink. As they get bigger cut the holes higher up. Also, make sure you don't let them spend time in water swimming or whatever, cause if they don't have a momma duck they can get waterlogged and drown. They have an oil-producing gland that waterproofs them, but as babies they don't produce enough oil and if they were out in the wild/with a mother duck she would give them some of her oil as waterproofing. So don't let them swim. I've heard people letting them swim for very short periods of time, like a few minutes here and there, but that's up to you.

If you can get a copy of Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks at your library I highly recommend it. I've gotten more information from that book than anyother source so far. It is sitting next to me on my desk as I type!

Don't let them near a water tank until they're at least 4 weeks old. I have lost more ducks and geese to drowning than to everything else combined. I've had them die in tanks which had ramps in and out and bricks on the bottom which they should have been able to stand on. Just be safe and don't provide anything deep enough for them to drown in.

I agree with Henrietta23. I found that book to be so full of information. The guy who wrote it, Dave Holderread has a waterfowl farm and preservation center here in Oregon. He's been doing waterfowl for a loooong time.

Mine is sitting right here too.
smile.png

Cham

Back
Top Bottom