I need all you wonderful experienced chicken people to help me decide.

Definately get a silkie lol, and heres what I know of teh rest you've listed:

Barred Rocks: Definately get a br! They're super sweet and lay very very well! I love my brs
love.gif

Black Austrolorps: Never had one, but I've heard nothing but great things about them and they're very pretty to boot!

Sex Link: Only had a red sex link, but she was very sweet and my best layer by far.

Deleware: Again, never had a deleware, but I love how they look. I have heard a few people complain about there delewares being egg-eaters and feather pickers which is no fun.

Easter Egger: Loved all 3 of my EE's, definately get one.

Wyandotte: I had a golden laced, but besides her color I never liked her. She was skittish, picked on my other hens, and didn't lay nearly as well as any of the other "big" girls.

RIR: I haven't had an rir, but I have heard good things about them, though some seem to be pushy with other hens.

Those are some good choices for chickens. Although I would definately get a buff orpington. They are good layers, they are very beautiful and commercial-looking as chicks and as hens, and they are absolute dolls
tongue.png
And brahmas are sweethearts too.
But yes, definately get a barred rock, and at least one RIR because those are the very, very best egg-layers. My RIR is pretty aloof, but she's a pretty girl, and she's going to give me lots of eggs!
As for the black stars, the one time I did have any they turned out to be not so sweet at all. They didn't get along with thmselves or the other chickens. I ended up selling them.
I would go for any of these-

Barred rock
Buff Orp
Black Australorpe
Easter Egger
RIR
Brahma
Wyandotte
Silkies

I've found these to be the prettyest, sweetest birds. Although silkies aren't really good layers because they lay tiny eggs
tongue.png

Best of luck to you! I'm sure you'll fall in love with your girls!

Since there's 6 of you in your family, why don't each of you pick your own personal favorite? Six hens should give you 2-3 dozen eggs a week. Each of the breeds you mention have their good points. Some are more reliable layers, some are more attractive to look at. Each breed has its own tendencies as to behavior & temperment, but each individual can vary.

I don't know if the My Pet Chicken has details about breed characteristics, but I know the Murray McMurray Hatchery website does. That's how I started off with so many hens. I was studying that site, researching laying hens, and saw so many recommendations for so many beautiful breeds that I just wanted to have them ALL.

Personally, I like the sex links, both red & black, for gentle temperments & reliability in laying. Of course you want an EE to have those groovy green eggs in your basket. I love BRs for their classic chicken looks. The Delaware I happen to have has been a delight.

Print a picture of each breed you're considering, and let every family member pick their favorite. Whatever you get you'll be certain to love. I wish you the best with your future flock!

Wow, everybody's up late like me! Having everyone pick their own is a good idea, we might do that. I might get two picks though since our youngest is only 18mo. lol.

I thought about a Buff Orp at first because every thing I've read and everyone has said they are wonderful birds. I'm just afraid that they won't do well in the heat here since they are such a heavy breed.

Does anyone in San Diego have a BO and could tell me how theirs is doing?

Also in San Diego, North Clairemont!

We bought 3 "sexed" chicks from a feed shop in Lakeside in April. A BR, an EE, and one RIR. Of those three the RIR was a roo. I'm looking to replace him (We had to send him back to the feed shop
sad.png
) Let me know if you are interested in placing a larger order, I would help with shipping of course!

Thanks everyone, I don't know if I'm any closer to a decision but it was great getting feedback from you all.

Shauna

Oh, I never heard if someone had a Buff (or any other color for that matter) Orpington here in San Diego.

Back
Top Bottom