I need alternative meatie advise

lilbirdee

Songster
10 Years
Mar 14, 2009
Ridgefield, WA
So we are working on plans to get 25 Cornish X to raise for the freezer. I would like to add a few other types to have a bit of variety on occasion. I'm thinking an additional 6 birds? Anyone had any experience with other meaties? What makes a good dinner? Can they be raised in the same pen as the chickens?

Sorry, i guess that was a bit confusing. I didn't mean other breeds of chickens. I was wondering about quail, duck, guineas, pheasant or duck. Was wonder if anyone had any opinions on these or had any other ideas.
And again, I need to know if they can be raised with the chickens or do I need a separate pen for each?

Yeah I said duck twice. Maybe shoulda added a goose after that
lol.png

To a point they can be raised together, generally speaking if you are going for fast growth to get the job done then they would need to be seperate. since each one you mentioned has different nutritional requirements for the fastest growth.

When they are chicks usually its advisable to keep them separate so they can be feed there different starter feeds. Once they get a little older or close to be feathered out, they can be intergrated.

You should also consider having them on some sort of grass, Normally pasture grass would not be the best, since that is usually broam grass which is not the best for native species or other domesticated poultry.

Many years ago I recall one relitives who raised ducks and geese along woth there chickens, They also had wild pheasants, and guail around.

Although yo do need to contain the phesants, guail, and possibly some turkeys as they might take off on you.

Ducks, geese, and chickens usually hang around.

Tom

Back
Top Bottom