I need an idea for a roof

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by P-Funk, Dec 17, 2011.

1. P-Funk

P-Funk Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Franktown
    I have 7 chooks living in a converted 11'x11' stall. The 4 month olds get out and into the barn (and sometimes into the paddock). I need to do something to put a roof over it which will allow sunlight and air to flow thru. The walls are finished pine so I'd rather not put a bunch of bolts in them. [​IMG] [​IMG] Thanking you in advance! P

Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
  2. citychickx6

citychickx6 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Loveland
    Bird netting perhaps?

3. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    Quote:x2. Or hardware cloth.

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I agree. If it's strictly to keep your birds in and not for predator protection, I'd opt for either bird netting or deer netting draped over and zip-tied in place - no screws involved.

5. P-Funk

P-Funk Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Franktown
    Thanks [​IMG] Having never seen bird netting before I had to look it up. It looks like it would still need a frame, though. It's a shame because that barn is nicer than a lot houses I've been in. My girls are worth it [​IMG]

6. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    If your only interest is in keeping them from flying out, I suggest going to Lowe's, Home Depot, Tractor Supply, or similar places and look at the wire. Choose any of the wire that makes you and your pocketbook happy. I'd avoid plastic because it goes brittle, though if it is out of direct sunlight and weather it will last a lot longer than being exposed. With those openings in the walls, it is probably not worth trying to get wire that a raccoon can't rip apart. One will just go through the bars unless those bars are closer together than I think they are.

Eleven feet is a long span. I'd get a board long enough to span it and put it across the center. That's for appearance since it looks like it is plenty high enough for you to walk under. I think appearance is important to you. How big a board depends on your climate. The more ice and snow you might have to support, the bigger it would have to be. It will be stronger if you stand it on end instead of laying it flat. Consider the strength of the wire too if you get a lot of ice and snow.

You are not going to get wire wide enough to span 11 feet. You can splice it together with J-clips, hog rings, or using wire.

There are plenty of different ways to attach it. If you get a fine enough mesh, you can use screws and fender washers, but that may not be practical unless you get smaller mesh wire. You can use poultry staples on top of the walls. If appearance is important to you, you can rip or get maybe 1/2" thick planks and put those on top of the walls. Drill pilot holes so you don't split those boards and screw those board in place. Make sure the screws go through openings in the wire.

I mentioned ice and snow load because of your comment on letting sunlight through. If you are just talking about sunlight through windows, which I think you are, ignore all that and maybe use a 2 x 6. Even if laid flat, it should not sag too much, but if you want it to not sag at all, stand it on end. For 11 feet, a 2x4 on end probably won't sag as long as it is not carrying any load.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
  7. dsfrango

dsfrango Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    Stafford Springs
    I would recommend just simple chicken wire. It wont be an eye sore to look at and it may be easier to put up. You can just staple it down etc.

8. CluckyJay

CluckyJay Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    Is anything as lovely as natural wood? [​IMG]

9. jerryb

jerryb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    Southern Michigan
    Quote:they could simply lay 2x4s on edge across the top of the stall. the weight of the wood would keep the chickens form moving the pieces so no cutting, nailing or similar needed. it would be like an "arbor" then. if you put the 2x4s about a foot apart the girls won't be able to fly out.

this would be fairly cheap simple and no fasteners, and fairly attractive.

good luck
    Jerry

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by