I need brooder ideas ....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by WestKnollAmy, Feb 6, 2011.

1. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    for raising lots and lots of chicks.
    We have tried so many different ways to arrange our brooder room but I still wind up with too little space for all the ones I have growing up. We have finally decided to use the end stall, currently housing my ducks at night, as an addition to growing out chicks. Ducks are going into new breeding pens soon.

Keep in mind I hatch about 30-60 every week or so and grow out chicks all year around. Though I swear next winter I will NOT hatch! That means a lot of brooders of chicks growing up and OUT of the brooders. They get too big for a brooder but still need a small fenced area so where to move them and still keep 4-5 wk olds or even 6-8 week olds in relative comfort? I try to get them out in little tractors after it gets warm enough at night.

We have the room but not too many good ideas. I have seen a few on here but what do others that have a lot of chicks and adolescents growing up do with them?
    Thank you for any help and ideas!

[​IMG]

2. nivtup

nivtup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Shelton Washington
    We use plywood boxes.

6 ft long, 4 ft wide, 2 ft high.

Cover the tops with wire.

Good luck with the project, that sounds like a lot of chicks.

3. mothergoose

mothergoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    Chebanse, Illinois
    Unfortunatly, it seems we always end up in the same situation. I would love to find the solution to this. [​IMG]

4. Martin Grove Farm

Martin Grove Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

We use freezers and fridges that we find at curbside. Bring them home, remove doors and racks, lay on backside. we use wire for what is now the top. Hang heater light and thermometer and bingo, almost free. We have several.

5. spartacus_63

spartacus_63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Central Iowa
    I only use bio-bators and I use brooder boxes separated from the flock followed by a brooder coop/run. The mother hens will integrate the chicks into the flock between six and eight weeks so I do not have a problem with adolescent birds. I do have a small bird feeding area which prevents the adults from eating all my grow rations and ensures the young birds get enough to eat.

I haven't had many problems with the young birds in with the older flock. In fact I find it easier to integrate them when they are young, before they have an established pecking order in their peer group.

I also brood year round. Although I limit myself to one clutch at a time in the winter due to convenience for me. Less snow to shovel [​IMG]

6. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    I use a bunch of old storm windows held together with a couple of screws.

7. Hollywood Chickens

Hollywood Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    I don't do that many chicks, but I do brood up 25 at a time.

I have been using large dog carriers and I have a large bunny cage that works great, also those super big coolers, little tykes toy boxes, and the clear storage boxes form Target work great.

BTW I love the last line of your signature!

8. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Check out the online poultry show section.On page 2 there are a bunch of good brooders.
    In N.H.,Tony.[​IMG]Here's a pic of mine.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  9. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    I use shipping crates and large rubber horse troughs. Place a piece of plywood over top leaving room for the heat lamp. Easy to clean them out for next time use.

I read a forum member used pegboards and zip tied them together to make a brooder. Now that would work really well for me cause they could be taken apart and stored...

I have even used large cardboard boxes and pitched them afterwards.. And I have used a 55 gallon aquarium also.

10. Kyle E

Kyle E Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Liberty, Pennsylvania
    [​IMG]

Heres mine i built yesterday that are for my chicks that are hatching today!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by