I need coop and run avdvice for Hawaii

aurora11

In the Brooder
Sep 25, 2023
I am definitely in need of help/advice! In mid-October, I am purchasing 5 young hens and I am super excited. Problem is I thought I had purchased an appropriate sized coop/run, but I have since learned it will be too small. I am sharing pictures of the area I have for my little flock. The dimensions are: tall fence between houses is 7 ft. The entire area is more than 30 ft long. The width is 82", 38 of which are paved. The gate that leads to the front yard is 5 ft. The shorter gate that leads to our patio and pool in back is 3 ft tall.
Can I safely let them free range (no snakes/predatory birds here, the occasional mongoose), or do I need a run? Should I purchase or try to build? How about coop/nesting boxes and roosting areas/bars? I can't spend thousands of dollars. Any and all suggestions welcome! I'm beginning to feel really dumb for believing manufacturers claims on coop I bought from Home Depot.

Attachments

• yard 2.jpg
    yard 2.jpg
    849 KB · Views: 100
  • yard 3.jpg
    yard 3.jpg
    736 KB · Views: 14
  • yard 4.jpg
    yard 4.jpg
    564.3 KB · Views: 16
  • yard 5.jpg
    yard 5.jpg
    590.5 KB · Views: 13
  • yard1.jpg
    yard1.jpg
    842.7 KB · Views: 16
I’d suggest building them a coop that is standing and not on the ground. With an attached run that is a decent size.
Mongoose will be the main issue as those things are nasty and will come back if they found a good snack before. If a mongoose does come and cause havoc than it will be in the chickens best interest to be in a inclosed run. When free-ranging your chickens I’d suggest adding some sort of bird netting on top so they can’t jump out.

The photo Yard 1 looks like a really good little dirt area to build your coop and attached run! There are many cheap and easy coop builds that people have done on this website, so you can choose your favorite options from each of those threads. I’ll try and find some good threads of cheap and easy coop ideas and link them here!

I’d suggest building them a coop that is standing and not on the ground. With an attached run that is a decent size.
Mongoose will be the main issue as those things are nasty and will come back if they found a good snack before. If a mongoose does come and cause havoc than it will be in the chickens best interest to be in a inclosed run. When free-ranging your chickens I’d suggest adding some sort of bird netting on top so they can’t jump out.

The photo Yard 1 looks like a really good little dirt area to build your coop and attached run! There are many cheap and easy coop builds that people have done on this website, so you can choose your favorite options from each of those threads. I’ll try and find some good threads of cheap and easy coop ideas and link them here!
I appreciate that very much. There's so much info here, and to be honest, I am very overwhelmed. I want my girls to be happy, safe, and healthy!

I found some things needed for minimum requirements in a coop

For each adult, standard-sized hen you need:
  • 4 square feet in the coop (.37 square meters)
  • 10 square feet in the run (.93 square meters),
  • 1 linear foot of roost (.3 meters),
  • 1/4 of a nest box,
  • And 1 square foot (.09 square meters) of permanent, 24/7/365 ventilation, preferably located over the birds' heads when they're sitting on the roost.
Hopefully more people can chime in with coop ideas! All I have made is panels for run extensions (I’ll grab some photos and how to’s for making a very basic and affordable panel for a run tomorrow when it’s light out)

Your climate is your friend. All you really need is a cage like structure with one area (on one end I suggest) having a back wall and roof abutting the fence; you will also need a post or a second wall on the side opposite to help support the roof and roosts (12" per chicken). This structure need only provide shelter from rain and winds. I would suggest a height that is comfortable for you.

You will also need a couple of nest boxes, many options exist from purpose built to cheap plastic bins.

The cage should be built from 1/2" hardware cloth (HC) and should be at least 50 sq ft, more is better. Using the roosting shelter as the starting point and the fence, enclose the areas on both the roof, front and second end. Use posts and roof supports every 4' on center to attach the HC. Build a frame door and cover it with HC, make sure it is well built to withstand constant open/close. I suggest the roof extend from just below 7' fence height so that you can walk about without bending over.

You will need to cover the ground to avoid it becoming a stinky mud bath. Coarse mulch mixed with small sticks and chunks of wood make an excellent base, you can add any organic matter on top including grass cuttings, leaves, wood shavings, etc. Be generous with amount, I suggest a minimum of 6". With this as a base the chicken droppings will mix and disappear quickly. Most droppings will be under the roost, you should probably remove and dispose from this area on a regular basis. If you have a compost the droppings make a great addition and your gardens with thrive.

You will need to take care to ensure the whole structure is varmint proof. HC aprons laid on the ground around the exterior perimeter are the common approach. Make sure the fence boards are sound, if not HC can be used.

Obviously there are details that I have not covered, ask here many folks will chime in with answers.

I don't know prices in your area but feel quite certain $1,000 and labor on your part is possible.

Good luck!

Last edited:
So you are planning to make the whole side yard into the permanent chicken run/ranging area? What’s on the other side of the fence, a neighbors yard? Are they ok with chickens moving in so close and making sounds that will bounce off the house toward them? (The fence will only block so much)

If I was making this space a run that needs protection from a mongoose, I’d probably make simple 4ft wide wood frames that fit snug between fence and house, with hardware cloth or welded wire fencing attached to them. Mount the frame to the fence and use prop sticks/columns against the house. If you ever need to do something against the house like use a ladder or get an object off the top in the middle, you could simply remove one of the “panels” since they’re modular. End panels would have doors for you to enter. Might need to cage around the utilities though, and also the split system’s radiator may end up getting affected by feathers.
Given your climate, the coop maybe only needs to be a dry roof over the top of a roosting area.
I think you could definitely DIY all that for under $1000

IMHO there are too many functional units (A/C, electrical panels etc) to enclose them into a run area. There is sufficient room on the earthen areas for 5 chickens+ so I would erect the cage walls in/on that ground and leave the concrete areas as people only.

Chickens raise a lot of dust!!

Do you have a lot of Mongoose in Mililani? I'd worry about chicks and eggs but not so much grown hens. Even the rats will kill the chicks. I've never had but my friends in wet areas have had a lot of problems with rats. 1/2" hardware cloth will take care of that. Think big roof, open coop.

All of my coops are very open, even my brooders. I can always cut a feed bag and staple onto studs when the storms come. It is the heat and humidity I worry about. Just lost a healthy hen to it this week ☹️

The first coop I built cost $200, used untreated 2x4's and scrounged old roofing material. The run was another $60 as I used a 50' roll of 2x4 welded wire but we cut our own posts.
47614.jpeg

47611.jpeg
I have since added onto my first coop, doubling the size, for probably another $200. It has to be breathable for the flock.
47608.jpeg
47603.jpeg

This broody overflow multi coop my DH built for me probably cost $300 or $400?. He ripped the 2x4s into 2x2s but did use cedar for the sides to make it more stylish. It has 4 nest boxes plus a big box for broodies.
20230515_184805~2.jpg

My chickens only get locked in when we have a storm. My run is secure. Coops are just for sleeping and laying.

My fancy coop up the mountain is a converted shack. Costing less than my first coop, lol, and taking only 1 week to convert. Again, the chickens only sleep and lay in it. I have a secure run and they spend all day outside. I do provide places to get out of the rain.
20230705_055852.jpg
20230708_095227.jpg

Big roofs, breathable coop. Craigslist, good luck!

Back
Top Bottom