I Need Coop engineers

7L Farm

Songster
9 Years
Jul 22, 2010
Anderson, Texas
I need suggestions for my next coop. The picture enclosed is where I'm gonna build it. The other picture is my first coop I built. Anyway here's the scoop. I have ten RIR"S in # 1 coop. Yes, I want more chickens. My thoughts are not to integrate new chickens to my existing flock they seem happy & get along fine together. But as mentioned I want more. I have decided I'll get more & build the new chickens their own coop & run. First coop I built I did a few things wrong & ended up doing allot of extra work & spent more money than needed. So I decided to ask ya'll for suggestion. So fire away. Here's the directions from the picture back wall is north, to the right is east, left is west, so now you know where south is. I live in central Texas . Real hot for ever & usually not real cold except for last year. Prevailing wind is from the southeast.Thanks 7L .
63768_pa130078.jpg
63768_pa130079.jpg

In your climate I wouldn't build an enclosed building, I'd build an old fashioned 3-sided structure that is continuous with the run, obviously with the closed end towards the wind. Plenty for them in winter and a lot more breeze in hot weather.

Quote:
D Thanks, & Thanks for the second reply # 8 . Wow, that's perfect. That will work perfect where I'm at your so correct. Can you tell I'm excited. It will be easier to build that's for sure plus cheaper. Now ,I need to figure out what breed of chickens & can I let them all out at once & will they all go back to their coop or what? I only free range for 3 hours a day & I supervise.

Keep them penned for a few days when you first get them,then let them loose and they will return to the coop at dusk on their own. Or raise them in the coop and pen, and let them out when they are a good size, around 8 or 10 weeks.

Here's a good source for breeds, tells which are most cold hardy and which do well in hot climates, and a bunch of other stuff about specific breeds: http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

Oh
, yes, let them out all at once or keep them all in. They're a social animal and will want to stay together.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
Maybe I'm not making myself clear. If I have 10 in coop #1 & 10 in coop#2 & let them all out at the same time will they go back to roost at their coop are will it be a bad idea letting both coops out at the same time. Fighthing etc. Or would I have to let coop 1 out one day & then coop 2 out the next.

Quote:
Oops, my bad, you did say that. If they see and hear each other all the time I would not expect a lot of fighting, but this is such an individual thing, you just have to try.

I guess I was thinking you had two groups for breeding purposes. If it's ok with you to mix them, I'd sure try it after they are used to each other. I imagine they will mostly go back to their own coop. but there may be a few who want to switch flocks. If you then want to arrange them a certain way for breeding, I doubt you will get much problem over it.

I have two coops, I let them all out to free range together, they hang out in their various groups, in and out of both coops sampling the food and water to see if it's better than their own (all the same of course) and then at night they troop happily back to their own coops to settle for the night. Never had one bunk down in the wrong coop. My problem will be deciding where to put the new birds I have in quarentine in the basement, and hope that they don't try to get back into the house when it's time for them to move into a coop. As long as they have plenty of space to spread out and away from each other you shouldn't have any problem.

Quote:
Oops, my bad, you did say that. If they see and hear each other all the time I would not expect a lot of fighting, but this is such an individual thing, you just have to try.

I guess I was thinking you had two groups for breeding purposes. If it's ok with you to mix them, I'd sure try it after they are used to each other. I imagine they will mostly go back to their own coop. but there may be a few who want to switch flocks. If you then want to arrange them a certain way for breeding, I doubt you will get much problem over it.

No, I'm not gonna breed them. I just want laying hens no roos.

Back
Top Bottom