I need coop ideas...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Singlemaple, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Singlemaple

Singlemaple Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2010
    Merrimack NH
    We have 30 chickens and planning to get some more by hatching in the spring... how big of a coop do i need?

we are thinking of buying a big shed and re-doing the inside but how big should the shed be?

the hens do have free range of 3 acres during the day and have a 48 square foot run all night that is attached to the coop, that will be added onto our new coop.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  2. smokinjay

smokinjay Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2011
    12x12 range.

3. citychickx6

citychickx6 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Loveland
    Curious how many more you plan on hatching.
    I think that a 12x12 will work unless you expand the flock much.
    I like the more space is better idea. I would go with a 12x16 and I would keep no more than 40 chickens in it.

4. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Quote:Don't buy a shed-----build your Coop from scratch to have all the features you want. (See my BYC page for pics of my setup which has been in use a couple decades, 8X12)

5. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Agreed, a 12X12 is the smallest you could (or should) buy. A lot of people aren't builders, and whatever works for you will be great. We used a large 10 ft shipping crate from Boeing for chickens years ago. We just unscrewed the top, put up a roof, cut out vents and a door... DONE. It lasted for years and years and was a very simple and cheap build! Just kept paint on it. In fact, it was fine when we moved out. Anyway, I've seen a lot of really cute coops on this board made out of pre-fab buildings. It can be done and be very functional for you. Just be sure you get the size you need and don't go too small.

6. Honeysucklefeathers

Honeysucklefeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2011
    western KY
    I see no problem with using a shed if you aren't into building. It is much cheaper to build from scratch, but that doesn't work for everyone. Sounds like you have a nice big area for them to roam. My coop is 14x20 with separate pens and a 10x20 run on each side. I like to keep my breeds separated. I have 27 chickens now but feel like I can house about 50 chickens. I'd make it bigger than I thought was needed. Chicken math you know [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by