I need ducks!!!

Hmm
If you can’t lower the coop, can you perhaps figure out a way to make the door and ramp wider?
I would remove the perches inside (ducks won’t use them), and if possible double the width of the door and ramp. The ducks like to go to be -all together- and if someone falls off the ramp.... because they get pushed out by the rest of the flock.... they will probably hesitate to use it again 😬
My ducks put themselves to bed at dusk every night. ...I don’t have an elevated coop, but, from the look of your setup, they would probably need / enjoy the shade (or shelter in the winter) under the coop.

I only put their feed inside their coop, twice a day, so they know that is
- where the food is
- where the safe place is

....you also will need to dump the pool and re fill it daily (every other day in cooler weather can work but it’s best to do it daily...)
Will that work in your yard?

My property is steep, so the gross water runs away from the run easily. I’ve never had a flat spot to keep any of my birds 😂 so I can’t speak to that.
.....you might consider fly predators to spread around the outside of the coop by next summer if you can pull this off 😉

Also. My first duck flock was a mix of Khaki Campbells and Welsh Harlequin.

My KC ducks were very light bodied.... and very good fliers. They could fly over my 5’ fence through any hole in the top netting that they could find.
Now I only have Welsh Harlequin ducks.
They are “cousins”, temperament is very similar, they lay -almost- as many eggs/ year, and can’t fly over the fence in their yard.

....you might want to look them up as an alternative 😉
If I do ducks, I'll probably lower the coop. Not sure if I can make the doorway bigger.

I didn't think ducks roosted, so yeah, then I'll take those out.

I had figured I'd need to dump the pool every day. Our yard is flat, but drains well, so I think that'd be fine.

Good to know about the KCs. Thank you. I'd assume their wings can be trimmed? That is a four foot fence, but usually if I trim wings from a young age my chickens that fly well don't ever try to jump.

If I do ducks, I'll probably lower the coop. Not sure if I can make the doorway bigger.

I had figured I'd need to dump the pool every day. Our yard is flat, but drains well, so I think that'd be fine.

Good to know about the KCs. Thank you. I'd assume their wings can be trimmed? That is a four foot fence, but usually if I trim wings from a young age my chickens that fly well don't ever try to jump.
Wings can always be clipped :)
I never have clipped my ducks’ wings.... but they free range when we are home and I want them to be able to move as well as they need to.
I do clip my heritage turkeys’ wings.... esp when they are small.
I only clip the right wing.
If you clip both....they can learn to flap harder and still fly. Clipping one still allows them to make a short flight.... in a semicircle.... and they really can’t learn to overcome your efforts 😉

And. If you can get someone to help you (or decide to get ambitious and figure it out...)
Personally. I’d be more inclined to make the door and ramp wider than deal with lowering the coop.

Not only because it will be WAY more easy, but the ducks will use the shade under the coop, and be much more inclined to actually go to bed with the wider entrance-

My ducks are mixed w my chickens, while the chickens use roosts and stuff, the ducks do not. I only use rollaway coops bc we market eggs and cleanliness is important. I find that the ducks will pick a spot outside and sleep tgere

Hi! @Miss Lydia and @HeritageFan gave you good advice. I just want to add I don’t see many windows I think you need to cut more windows in that coop so you have at least 1 square foot of window for each duck , and cover with hardware cloth.
There are two windows. Not entirely sure of the size of window. Is it for airflow? There is a large gap at the top under the roof for airflow.

No, plexiglass.
....does the plexiglass open?
Ducks need quite a lot of ventilation almost all year (not on the -super- cold days but most others)
The ventilation gaps at the roofline probably won’t be sufficient.... maybe if you could get a fan in there but 😕
I give our ducks food only in the coop, and if you feed them inside, IMO you also have to offer some water (and grit...)
Ducks are Sooooooo messy with their water, and their poo is very much more wet than chicken poo.
They need more airflow than chickens, esp in the warmer months.
Their coop will be “wet”, even if you decide to feed and water them outside only (but... good luck getting them into the coop if you take that course 😉)

Are you planning to keep them in there 24/7 or is this only for nighttime? I think you will be shocked how messy it will become if you are planning to keep them in it all day. I have a couple Khakis, only one could fly well enough to get over a three foot fence and only when she was young.

Back
Top Bottom