I Need "Feeding Chickens for Dummies"

I solved the "what to feed" problem several years ago after visiting one of the best Black Rosecomb breeders in the country. All of his birds were in beautiful condition & I asked him what he fed.
He told me he only used one feed, a high protein game bird grower. Said he fed that to chicks & adult birds alike.
I switched to this method & it has worked out very well. The birds grow well, feather quickly & stay in good condition longer. Feather quality is improved & they lay & hatch well on this feed.
I am using a 22% protein Blue Seal product called Chick n Game Bird Starter Grower. I suspect other manufacturers make similar products.
A bonus is that when I'm away at a show for the weekend I don't have to give my wife a list of who gets fed what-there's only one feed. Really simplifies things. Don't have to decide when to switch feed. Don't have to decide if I should buy another bag of Starter of switch to Grower-no decisions to make.
Works real well for me.

So..... here is my MO. Does this sound okay?

Chickens:
2 - 1 yr layers (laying well)
4 - 11 wks (look good)
6 - 6 weeks (fully feathered and thriving)

I have introduced everyone and tonight it the night they finally all bunk up together. My plan is this: Offer all starter/grower crumbles until the younger chicks start laying, free choice of oyster shells and black oiled sunflower seeds as an occasional treat. They get to free range quite a lot to get all those good bugs and my run is moveable so they always have access to grass.

Do you see any reason I should also put out some layer crumbles?

You can feed starter to older chickens but preferably I would find something non medicated. Feeding medicated too long can lead to vitamin deficiency. The gamebird feed does work as a good all purpose feed if you also give calcium supplements to the layers. I can't get nonmedicated starter here so I feed my chicks gamebird feed and often keep feeding it to my bantams even after they start laying. The feeder in the big coop though has layer so anything put out there has to eat layer.

Back
Top Bottom