I need help - 5 month old roo being plucked by pullets

DreamingOfAFarm

Chirping
10 Years
Jun 12, 2009
Des Moines
Hi, I have a "surprise" roo who was supposed to be a lovely EE. Turned out to be a lovely crower and hen-lover, if you catch my drift.
wink.png

Yesterday when we went out to check on the girls (2 BA, 1 BR, 1 EE, 1 BO, 1 SLW), we found that Diva's (the roo) had an entire patch of feathers pulled out and now the girls are quite enjoying the taste of his blood.
barnie.gif

We're going to separate him from the girls, but I'm wondering if there's anything specific I should do for him? I have some Multi-Care, Liquid Wound Care that I was wondering about applying to his wound. Ingredients are Crude Fish Oil, Raw Linseed Oil, Tea Tree Oil and Balsam of Fir. I used it on my dog for torn pads on his feet and this stuff works wonders, I just don't know if it's safe for chickens. Did some searching on here but wasn't able to find anything about it on here.

Any suggestions would be extremely helpful. This is my first flock and I'm feeling horrible that this has happened to him.

DH is saying that we should just kill him (we've been talking about freezer camp since Diva started crowing) but seeing as this is my fault, I want to at least help him get better.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Well, you name a boy Diva and see what you get??? That's worse than a boy named Sue.
tongue.png
Poor guy! I'm a softy for animals, but if you're giving serious thought to culling him anyway, then I wouldn't bother w/fixing him; I'd go ahead and do the deed asap. But if you're going to keep him or give him away, then of course keep him isolated until the area is healed. I've not heard of the cream you're talking about, but if it's good for a dogs pads, I'd think it couldn't hurt a wound on chicken skin. The ingredients sound gentle. Many people seem to use Blue Kote on here. I have some, but have never had to use it yet, thankfully. I hope someone with wound experience will step in to advise you further...

Well, when Diva was the baby (and we were told he was a she), it literally looked like he had eyeliner on. Not only that, but if he wasn't getting any attention, he would start peeping these loud mournful peeps until we went and picked him up. Hence the name, Diva. Constantly needed to be the center of attention.

He has become a great guardian of his girls though. If someone gets lost or is out on their own, he'll come find me or DH and make lots of noise until we come help. He's quite the comedian and I've become quite attached to him. (Don't tell DH.)

We have 8 birds in a 6'x5' coop. We built it for 6 birds and then DH surprised me with 8. Could part of the problem be that they don't have enough personal space?

I'm hoping to get Diva treated today, but have to go to work soon and am not really sure what to do. We have him in a kennel in the garage. It's not cold, but not exceedingly warm either. I gave him some scratch and food and water. He's a little confused as to why he's alone, but with the way his back was looking I didn't want the girls doing any more damage.

I hadn't heard him crow in over 24 hours but when we had them out free ranging earlier, he started singing his song, so I'm assuming he's feeling a bit better.

Your space is a little tight and could be part of the problem. Even with lots of space mine pecked the feathers off the second in command rooster's neck. It was not bleeding when I saw it but it was getting pretty raw. Two days in isolation healed him and he has been fine since. I think he was molting and the red blood in a feather shaft started the pecking, but I'm not sure why it actually started. I did not put any medication on him and he healed fine, but there was no blood. Different situation from yours. Mine never did act like he felt bad, by the way.

You don't mention how old yours are, but from reading on here I don't think it is extremely unusual for the rooster to be the one picked on by his ladies, especially if he is fairly young.

If you are going to process him anyway, I'd suggest doing the deed. You are only going to grow more fond of him and you can start the grieving process now and get it over with. I know that sounds cold but you will probably be somewhat uncomfortable around him anyway until you do it. And I do think space might be a problem.

I'm trying to convince DH that we should keep Diva alive as it will give us the opportunity for "free" chicks in the spring.

An addition will be built in the spring for the coop.

In the meantime, what can/should I do to help Diva heal quickly?

Off to TSC to get a heat lamp for the little man.

Back
Top Bottom