I need help..AGAIN, with these silkies..please!!!UPDATE::PICS

Sorry Justusnak, the only way I can take one is if I trade and I know you don't want to do that. I just ordered 8 eggs from fdnick so I can't really take anymore chickens unless I trade or swap. I do really like Stubs though, I wish I could take him.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just had a thought??? Will the ones with partial toes be ok in colder climates?? Or will there be a greater risk of frostbite during winter???

these birds all need that bit of "special care" in my opinion... probably have weak immune systems etc from the bad care and will probably (this year at least) be more susceptible to illness parasites etc. A good supplement with their feed would certainly be advised .

I have to agree with dlhunicorn about thier care. Right now they are on medicated chick starter, because I KNOW they have never had it. I have tried to keep thier "snacks" to a minimum but how can one resist? They love tomatoes, and veggies.They also get DE in thier feed, and have been dusted for lice/mites. I have not seen any on them, just wanted to be sure. Thier legs may be a bit more sensitive to the cold because of thier condition. They have all put on weight since they have come here...and thier eyes are bright, and they are alert.
I do not normally have silkies or banty chickens, so I am not sure of the hardiness in the snow. I would have to suggest they just be watched closely with the cold weather.

That is what I was thinking ...about the legs/feet. I am thinking I won't let the ones you send me outside in cold weather and keep them in the "nursery room" with a bit of heat. The shavings are very deep in that room and since it is small it should stay warmer in there. I think I will only let them outside if the temp stays above freezing maybe? I think after their first winter they will be ok.

Can I help? I am in Wichita, Kansas. I can't afford alot for shipping but I would give any a good home. If there is still a silkie hen I was thinking about getting one to be a resident brooder. If you don't have one available what is still available? Let me know what I can do...

Tonya

If you want to email me privately my email address is [email protected].

I would be glad to help with a few of your hens , I live in Lima ohio and could possibly meet you halfway some where to pick some up. We have several empty pens to house them in.
terris1959

The response for these babies has been overwhelmingly great!! However, the Roosters have yet to find homes. I have homes for 2 of the silkie/x.....but there are still 5 roos to go! Anyone? Terris? Need a few Roos for those empty pens??
big_smile.png

I just read the first paragraph of the post, went and read back up story, and was to angry at this "lady". You are so incredible for doing this. I'm sorry, but I would love to have her phone number so I could tell her exactly what I thought of her having the audacity to call you up and refer to them as her chickens. The audacity to try and sell them after you went threw so much to make them well, only to then try to profit off of it. You are a wonderful human being for saving these poor babies. I'm all the way in TN, but will be in Ohio for the show in November if you still have some. Hopefully they will all have happy homes by then, but if not
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom