I Need help ASAP with making my own incubator please help

My experience about home made is that you really need to spend about $60 on the electronics, and then you still need a cabinet. You can come up with a dandy incubator for much cheaper than a top of the line cabinet incubator, but it is tough to make a good one for really cheap.

It's very difficult to make an egg turner at home. You have to be much more clever than I am with electric motors, gears, and building things. Buying a commercial egg turner costs money. Good quality thermostats cost money. Accurate thermometers cost money. It's not easy to come up with those things out of the junk pile for free.

I have a thermometer from Rocky's cage (lizard we had) and 2 lights from there too and i just got a cooler so i'm back in business all i need is to figure out my fan situation and I will be having chicks in no time!!

I have two hand held fans but i'm going to try to wire them to a bigger battery or something to keep them going
You could always use a fan from a computer lots of people seam to use them and power it with the power supply from the computer You should be able to pick up a computer from the rubbish dump/ recycle site you can here in the UK. although im not too sure how to wire the whole thing up to the thermostat and the light. Gonna gave a play tomorro, Or may be some one on here can help me?

(Iv'e seen it done in an aquarium with a light bulb and a wet towel- foil and saran wrap for the top.)

There was a digital indoor/outdoor digital thomometer inside the tank and the 'outdoor' lead was right under the bulb, the unit itself was taped to the wall half way up. there was no fan.

the eggs were positioned where mathematically the temperature between the bulb and the wall was 99.5*F each egg was turned over once a day and moved one 'position over' the towle was kept damp to the touch by a bowl underneath full of water.

of the 12 eggs 8 hatched, (66% hatch) all eight survived, of the remaining 4 one was 'clear' two were early quitters and one fully formed (day 18 or so?).

Thank you soo much!! I am making an incubator out of an old plastic cooler I have it all figured out in my head so now I just need time at home to make it I work weekends so I can't get anything done on weekends :( I just hope I can get them started soon I can't afford to get a thermostat but that's my next mission this time i'm just going to monitor it myself with thermometers and hydrometer i'm pretty sure I have got it figured out lol just needs assembly
big_smile.png
so wish me luck!!

Back
Top Bottom