I NEED HELP ASAP!!!!!

barnyardlove

Chirping
Apr 2, 2023
Okay so I have 3 ducks, 2 male and one female, and 19 chickens. And right now we are keeping them in a fairly large stall, but we built a fully fenced smaller space outside and then they have a automatic door that lets them out to a bigger open outside area. A couple weeks ago i saw 2 of them mating. the 3rd one just spends most of his day laying down knowing not to come near the other ducks because the male will chase him away. At night the door closes from outside so they all come in a secure place that is smaller. Recently we have been noticing that that the male of the pair is not letting our third duck come inside the stall at all, he is chasing him out to the small fenced space. some of this time the male duck of the pair has even bit the other male and we are starting to see the mark. WHAT SHOULD I DO????

You may have to further separate your ducks, the runt from the rest. Try to set up a temporary area inside the pen with his own food and water and let them coexist for a couple of weeks. If this still doesn't work or it doesn't fit your circumstances you may need to rehome your runt.

You may have to further separate your ducks, the runt from the rest. Try to set up a temporary area inside the pen with his own food and water and let them coexist for a couple of weeks. If this still doesn't work or it doesn't fit your circumstances you may need to rehome your runt.
actually that's is what we did. Every night now we are seperating the male that is hurting the other male.

sorry but we are not looking to get rid of any of our animals, thanks though
Ducks are very aggressive about mating. To have one male typically requires more than one female. To have 2 males, you need to have more females. Even if (by some miracle) the males would put up with each other with one female, you run the risk of the female getting raped to death.
I totally appreciate that you want all your animals, but you're fighting an instinct that is very ingrained. I strongly suggest getting more females.

sorry but we are not looking to get rid of any of our animals, thanks though
I totally get it, it's not fun to have to. If it ends up not working out you may have to get rid of him, though. An alternative would be adding a few more ducks so that you have 2 different flocks; one with the runt and some new females, and your existing flock without him. You can't have him alone, though, as he will get lonely.
actually that's is what we did. Every night now we are seperating the male that is hurting the other male.
That's also a good idea. Add more females for him instead.

Back
Top Bottom