i need help ASAP

madi99

Songster
7 Years
May 13, 2012
Long Island, New York
My first hatch is underway and all was looking good until my 9th chick hatched.... he came out fine but now he has had a redish cord coming from his rear stuck to the shell... its been like this for like 2 hours now... can anyone tell me what it is or if theres anything i can do to help him?????
hu.gif

I wouldn't do anything. You don't know if it's connected or not, just see if the chick expels it or it dries and breaks off.

Does the chick appear ok otherwise?

Yeah it's totally fine I removed the sell but left the chord intact and it's drying now so I hope it just falls off on its own. If it doesn't should I do anything? I don't want to put it in the brooder yet in case the other chicks peck at it

More than likely it will fall off on it's own. Usually by the time they are dry it will dry up and then them moving around will take care of it. It is the last of the yolk sac that feeds them while they are in the egg. Normal. Natural. I, too, had one last year that crawled all over the incubator dragging it's shell with the cord attached.....finally it came loose.

I had one like that and it dried to the floor of the incubator and had the chick stuck there. I just cut it loose. By the time it is dry there is no blood. But if it was really red I would have never cut it for fear of it bleeding. It was clearish. Just saying.

after it got dry i ended up cutting must of it off (no bleeding) and then put him into the brooder. When i woke up this morning i had no idea which chick he was... im assuming thats a good thing? all nine of my little chicks look happy and healthy!
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom