I need help! chicken style!

Chickenkidd

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 21, 2013
Hi everyone at BYC!!!

I am excited to be a part of this website, and know it will help me a lot!!!!
I am a 15 year old animal lover!!!

so... first things first i got my Rhode island red/white chickens about 4-5 weeks ago, (so 4-5 weeks old) they are still growing in the draft free place i have made for them. they are getting a lot bigger, i am not quite sure on how big they will eventually get. when can i move them into their run/coop?

So I have a chicken coop, that i bought from Leonard Chicken coops

http://www.leonardusa.com/browse.cfm/2,293.html

I have 12 chickens all girls

how much space do they need (at least) for their run. I have plenty of space I just don't want to make it to small.
Also should i cover them up or not? My dad doesn't want to cover them because its a lot of work to build this whole aviary to keep them safe. but is it necessary? I really WANT to make one, can anyone recommend a great, sturdy, safe way to build a covered aviary for my lovely chickens?!?!

Last edited:
Greetings from Kansas, chickenkid15, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased to have you in our community! Good luck to you and your chickens!

well thank you! but i really need help with my question, do you know anyone who can answer?

Not sure where you are, how cold at nights it is still getting, or how old your chicks are but with 12 chickens and a very nice coop (based on the link you posted) they should be fine to go out now (If you are worried about temp, put a heat lamp in for the night). You do not say if they will always be in run or not - this makes a difference on space needed (do a search here on BYC and there is PLENTY of posts for space required). Also, do a search on runs - so many people have come up with so many different ideas and methods, just pick and choose what you like/can afford - Hope this helps a bit - good luck

yes thank you! sorry this was my first question post.

just to answer your question incase you have any ideas

i have plenty of space to make any size run they need even bigger :)

and they would be out and about in their run during the day and inside their coop at night.

i will definitely go searching on BYC previous posts

Thanks!

Last edited:
you will need 1 square yard per hen for the run and 2 square feet per bird for the coop. Have your door and windows on the south side of your coop. This is so the sun can help heat the coop in the winter.
also have shade in the run so they can get out of the sun. also keep water for them at all times. any grass you have in the run will eventually end up gone.

acutally you multiply the length and width of the coup and divide by four for how many chickens can be in a coop comfortably. (not 2 sq. ft) I was thinking of something else.

Back
Top Bottom