I need help finding a AZ vet who can decrow my rooster

From what I heard not, it works on adult roosters as well, is easily done without endangering the roosters life and does not cost much.

It's the same hormonal implants they use on male dogs for chemical castration.
Now that you mention it, the vet offered me a hormone treatment for my bird which had egg laying difficulty. I treated the problem with diet and exercise, and less light. I keep my parrot on a less than 12 hour of light schedule. I bet that would cause less crowing, too. Bird hormones are reduced in winter, so for my bird it is always winter. I put Dylan to bed at 6pm in her cage in a dark closet. I wake her up at 7 am. I only got 1 egg last year, and she was able to lay it, due to higher calcium pellets and more exercise. Might not eliminate crowing, but could reduce it while the OP looks for other options.

Light doesn't influence crowing in my experience, at least not by much. If something wakes him up, he'll likely start bellowing until he determines that it honestly was never a threat to begin with. I've had about a half dozen boys at times start contests when it's pitch black outside because something woke one up

Light doesn't influence crowing in my experience, at least not by much. If something wakes him up, he'll likely start bellowing until he determines that it honestly was never a threat to begin with. I've had about a half dozen boys at times start contests when it's pitch black outside because something woke one up

I don't think it affects crowing on a given occasion, but it could still make a difference overall.

I remember reading of someone who provided supplemental light for their roosters in winter (just like for hens) to make sure they were fertile and ready to breed when the hens started to lay. (They were raising a breed that only laid in the spring/summer.) So the number of hours of daylight could make a difference to their overall hormone levels. And of course a lower level of hormones might reduce a rooster's desire to crow, so he might do it less often. (Maybe.)

That happened a lot with my in-town rooster. Passing traffic would wake him and he'd crow.

I don't think it affects crowing on a given occasion, but it could still make a difference overall.

I remember reading of someone who provided supplemental light for their roosters in winter (just like for hens) to make sure they were fertile and ready to breed when the hens started to lay. (They were raising a breed that only laid in the spring/summer.) So the number of hours of daylight could make a difference to their overall hormone levels. And of course a lower level of hormones might reduce a rooster's desire to crow, so he might do it less often. (Maybe.)
This is what I was talking about. It might not stop all crowing, but a sound proof & dark closet for 12 hours could lower the testosterone and the neighbor complaints. Owners of parrots do this, too, to reduce noise. Some parrots are very noisy! My friend who had 2 Macaws had to move out of her apartment to a small house away from complainers. Macaws put roosters to shame on the decibel level they can produce!

Thank you for all the replies!🖤🖤 I started putting a blanket over his cage and it seems to be working in the mornings at least before I wake up and he can hear me😂 no one can hear him outside when the windows closed so we have to bear the heat when he's saying his good mornings👹 I don't think there's much else I can do about his crowing though I've tried the collar and it's hit or miss at best I'm also pretty scared of choking the life out of him but as a temporary solution the blanket and window shutting seems to be working haven't got a complaint since 🙌 thank God he has pathetic bantam crows😂

Just tell them you have a rooster alarm clock. I also live in AZ and have 5 roosters illegally. I keep them in a barn at night and in the daytime I let them out to be with their hens while simultaneously blasting awful music at the complaining neighbors house. So they can’t hear the roosters over the yodeling/polka/metal whatever I decide to play that day. Fight back! This is your pet and you shouldn’t have to get rid of him just because some jerk complains. I’ll take the sound of roosters over dogs any day btw! Or polka for that matter! LOL I bet he misses when all he had to listen to were roosters!

Yellow I have an indoor rooster he's the sweetest thing on planet earth so much so I thought he was a hen till he started crowing😬 I live in an apartment and the neighbors have recently started complaining I have him in a collar for the time being but want to get a decrow surgery done in the near future it sounds much more humane then choking the crow out of him 😢 if anyone could recommend some avian vets that would do it in AZ I would greatly appreciate it🙏 thanks!😁
Dang, i know how it feels I’ve had many pet roosters at this point mainly because the roosters always turn out to be the nicest, even though you may be emotionally attached to this rooster you should really look into selling or giving him to a proper farm, none of those procedures or methods are “humane” and its common for roosters to die during the procedure. We have a saying at our homestead, “if you can’t deal with the crow, the roosters gotta go.” I also think its worth mentioning when roosters hit sexual maturity 9 times out of 10 their whole personality changes, it can go from the sweetest rooster ever into a complete devil. (from personal experience)

Attachments

• 60E717EE-7594-4FFF-B2E6-A5B58C16B1BF.jpeg
    60E717EE-7594-4FFF-B2E6-A5B58C16B1BF.jpeg
    435.3 KB · Views: 1
  • F7C249B4-380C-4B6A-934C-471844C8D9F2.jpeg
    F7C249B4-380C-4B6A-934C-471844C8D9F2.jpeg
    738 KB · Views: 1
  • F0254F6D-2552-4E77-8343-D8E2C4C2E80F.jpeg
    F0254F6D-2552-4E77-8343-D8E2C4C2E80F.jpeg
    713.1 KB · Views: 1
From what I heard not, it works on adult roosters as well, is easily done without endangering the roosters life and does not cost much.

It's the same hormonal implants they use on male dogs for chemical castration.
Would this stop their urge to mate? I would like a rooster to hatch but can get in trouble for noise ordinance even though allowed

Would this stop their urge to mate? I would like a rooster to hatch but can get in trouble for noise ordinance even though allowed
As it would interfere with the production of their male hormones, they would lose interest and not be able to produce much offspring. They even change appearance (comb, wattles, plumage) and posture.

Back
Top Bottom