I need help! First time chicken owner!

BellaBMM

In the Brooder
May 20, 2015
Hi everyone, so on may 29th I am getting 10 chicks and need help! When should I start handling them? And when should I start taking them outside? How do I teach them to eat and drink? I've had ducks, is it anything like that?

When you first get them, wait a day or two before handling them. Then you can slowly start by feeding treats etc. As they get older, give less contact to the roosters to teach them dominance. To get them to drink, you dip their beak in the water but make sure not to drown them. When you take them outside depends on the weather and what heating method you use.

So what you’ll wanna do is have your brooder set up two days before they arrive. Why? Because A) sometimes they come a day or so early and B) you want it warmed up a couple hours before they get to you.
Make sure it have the heat lamp to one side of the brooder to give them a chance to cool off. When they first arrive, as you take one chick out the box places it’s beak in the water to teach them to drink. Food comes naturally. Give them 24-48 hours to get decompressed from shipping stress.
Typically, if you run/tractor is tightly shut up (1/4in holes all around) you can put them out to pasture at 2 weeks. Bring them back to the brooder for week three. After that I let them roll. No heat lamp after week 2. So they will get used to dusk to dawn living. They will bunch up at night if they get cold. Offer grit when you put them on grass. Free choice. Come back if you need any assistance after that.
Or for that random question, or when you freak out cause something happens and we will help tell you it’s not that bad!

You'll want to get your brooder set up the day before. Take a large storage bin or a crate of some sort. Place your choice of bedding in the bottom and put a heat lamp in one corner. Make sure they can get away from the heat. Set the temp to 95 degrees and lower it 5 degrees each week. Give them fresh water in a chick waterer and baby chick crumbles in their feeder. It can be medicated or non - medicated. If you do medicated, switch them to grower feed at 8 weeks. When the chicks arrive, take them out one by one. Dip its beak into the food and water. It will know what to do then. I wouldn't handle them for 24hrs unless absolutely necessary. You want them to destress from their trip. After that, handle them all the time! The more you hold them, the more they will imprint on you. I wouldn't take them outside until the have begun to feather out. And only take them out for a few minutes at a time. They can easily get chilled or sick. Also, make sure to keep an eye out for pasty butt. This is when the droppings collect by the chick's vent preventing it from pooping. It can be deadly. You will do just fine! Chicks are so fun and you will love them! Good luck!

So what you’ll wanna do is have your brooder set up two days before they arrive. Why? Because A) sometimes they come a day or so early and B) you want it warmed up a couple hours before they get to you.
Make sure it have the heat lamp to one side of the brooder to give them a chance to cool off. When they first arrive, as you take one chick out the box places it’s beak in the water to teach them to drink. Food comes naturally. Give them 24-48 hours to get decompressed from shipping stress.
Typically, if you run/tractor is tightly shut up (1/4in holes all around) you can put them out to pasture at 2 weeks. Bring them back to the brooder for week three. After that I let them roll. No heat lamp after week 2. So they will get used to dusk to dawn living. They will bunch up at night if they get cold. Offer grit when you put them on grass. Free choice. Come back if you need any assistance after that.
Or for that random question, or when you freak out cause something happens and we will help tell you it’s not that bad!
How do I get grit? Or make it? Also, Thank you!

When you first get them, wait a day or two before handling them. Then you can slowly start by feeding treats etc. As they get older, give less contact to the roosters to teach them dominance. To get them to drink, you dip their beak in the water but make sure not to drown them. When you take them outside depends on the weather and what heating method you use.
Thank you!

Grit is small, hard rocks. It is a necessary part of chicken digestive process if they eat anything other than commercial feed (which breaks down in water). It varies in size- smaller for chicks and larger pebbles for adult chickens. If they free range, they will be able to get their own. If your birds are more restricted, it is good to offer it on the side (not mixed in feed). Commercially, you can buy it at your feed store and will find two sizes- chick grit and adult grit.

Here is a short video on the chicken digestive system:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom