I need help from my computer friends

ridgefire

Songster
12 Years
Jan 8, 2008
Northern Michigan
My fire department just obtained a new computer. I need help in transferring information to the new computer.

Our old computer uses XP the new one uses Vista.

The biggest problem is how we track our runs.

We use Microsoft Excel 2003 and Microsoft word 2003.

The new computer doesn't have either.

How do I get word and excel to the new computer?

No I don't have the disks they came on, they seemed to have grown legs and walked off the department.

How can I find the product code used to install them on the old computer if and when I get them transferred to the new one.

I don't have any cables to connect the two.
I do have a thumb drive thing or I have blank CDs.

I know someone on this website knows how to do this. We know everything here.
bow.gif

Well, if you can find someone who does computer work you could have the entire contents of the old hard drive transferred over to the new one.. but you would lose Vista and would have XP instead.

You need to install those two programs on your new machine, and transfer your data over. I'd probably just put the old data on a flash drive and take it to the new machine.

I wouldn't suggest mirroring the drive as your drivers won't be the same, and your computer probably won't boot.

Unless you are REALLY good with computers don't try to mess with VISTA. It doesn't have a forgiving nature. I work with SolidWorks all day and just gave up and went back to XP because of the problems. I also had a mountain of trouble trying to run old Word documents thru VISTA. Get a pro!

Doug

Vista is horrible. I absolutely hate using it. I do IT all day long, day in and day out. You can PM me if you need anything. However -- you may have to purchase a new version of the Microsoft Office Suite (word, excel, etc.) if you cannot find your originals... Or you could just download "OpenOffice ". It is an opensource Program, which means that it is free. However, it would be slightly different than what you are used to working with.

You will not be able to transfer the programs so you need the discs or try downloading from Microsoft. Openoffice is a very nice alternative. Good luck in whatever route you take and thank you for being a firefighting hero
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom