I need help from the ALGEBRA EXPERTS...PLEASE!

Oh, the last time I've had algebra was in 1984...........you guys lost me here LOL! I used to be pretty good in it but funny as time went on, you don't remember half of the stuff and I'm not remember ANYTHING algebra at this point.

My daughter will be teaching ME algebra by the time she is in fourth grade!

I have a question about the 2nd equation.

Here is what I would do (sorry I used to grow up with a,b and c so I have a hard time switching to a q):

-1a(2) +5a+14= 0
-1 a(2)+5a= -14
-1a(2)+5a= -14 multiply *(-1)
1a(2)-5a= 14
a(a-5)=14
a(a-5)=14 devide by a
a-5 = 14/a
a=7

I came to the 7 by randomly using numbers so I am lacking the step before the last one. Would that not be a clearer simplification? But then I get confused because it is a square, doesn’t that mean I can have multiple answers, like plus and minus 7?

Quote:
My daughters are in 4th now and one of them was showing me her algebra
smile.png
I struggled in Algebra during high school and then took Elementary Algebra at College and did really well, but now College Algebra is throwing me for a loop.

Quote:
On problem number 2: -p^2+5p+14=
You have to removed the negative first so it would start with -1( then you have p^2 which breaks it down to -1(p ) (p ) Then you have to figure out what 2 multiply to give you 14 but subtract to give you a positive 5. ANSWER: -1(p + 7)(p - 2)

www.mathway.com

This webpage will solve all your math problems, just plug it in and get the answer. Now here's the catch, in order for the webpage to show you the steps on just how exactly they got their answer you need to pay a monthly fee. I hate monthly fees as much as the next guy but I will vouch for this website. I'm just now going through college at 25, most of that stuff I had forgotten since high school, it's like 10 dollars a month or so but it's worth it. I just finished trigonometry now I'm on to pre calculus. scary!

Last edited:
Quote:
On problem number 2: -p^2+5p+14=
You have to removed the negative first so it would start with -1( then you have p^2 which breaks it down to -1(p ) (p ) Then you have to figure out what 2 multiply to give you 14 but subtract to give you a positive 5. ANSWER: -1(p + 7)(p - 2)

Ah, thank you! See, that stuff gets me every time! And why, oh why can I not get the square root out of a negative number? Why can I not devide something into 0? It would make the world such a better place
idunno.gif

Quote:
Maybe it's just me but I have always found it enjoyable to go step by step and find the answer yourself. But then I am weird.
idunno.gif

Sure, but when you are stuck like she is and you don't know what the next step is you will need help. I mean, math isn't one of those subjects you really teach yourself.

Quote:
I did not mean to offend you or anybody. When I grew up and had to learn this stuff there was no internet to look it up. There was a book and a calculator which in this case was rather worthless. We had time in the class room to ask questions and after that we were on our own to solve the problem. We had bad teacher who didn't give a darn whether you understood the subject or not. We as students would call each other up to see how to get to the answer so that we could learn from each other. When I was at my wits end I found an older teacher that lived down the road from us and asked him if he could give me private lessons which he was happy to do. It took me forever to figure some of these equations out but the feeling of accomplishment at the end was well worth it- and he is now a good friend of mine. Also, 100% of the time I took math in high school or college they did want to see how we came up with the answer, otherwise you would get 0 points. Oh, and I may be old school but I am only 27 myself.

Quote:
I just saw this. If you need more help, give me a heads up. My youngest son took Algebra in the 4th grade. (until the middle of the first grade he could barely read/write, ADD and they wouldn't test him for this or offer support until then) Math/science is easy for him. He's now in college but can walk you through where I'd get lost.

-Karen

Back
Top Bottom