I need help from the ALGEBRA EXPERTS...PLEASE!

Quote:
I just saw this. If you need more help, give me a heads up. My youngest son took Algebra in the 4th grade. (until the middle of the first grade he could barely read/write, ADD and they wouldn't test him for this or offer support until then) Math/science is easy for him. He's now in college but can walk you through where I'd get lost.

-Karen

Thank you very much, I am sure that I will be needing more help along the way
smile.png
My 16 yr old tries to show me, but he talks faster than my teacher does, lol. He is also ADHD. Beginning to wish I was ADHD, they seem to have a knack for math. He also loves Chemistry and Science.

Quote:
I did not mean to offend you or anybody. When I grew up and had to learn this stuff there was no internet to look it up. There was a book and a calculator which in this case was rather worthless. We had time in the class room to ask questions and after that we were on our own to solve the problem. We had bad teacher who didn't give a darn whether you understood the subject or not. We as students would call each other up to see how to get to the answer so that we could learn from each other. When I was at my wits end I found an older teacher that lived down the road from us and asked him if he could give me private lessons which he was happy to do. It took me forever to figure some of these equations out but the feeling of accomplishment at the end was well worth it- and he is now a good friend of mine. Also, 100% of the time I took math in high school or college they did want to see how we came up with the answer, otherwise you would get 0 points. Oh, and I may be old school but I am only 27 myself.

No offense here, but really anyway you look at it, whether your using a calculator, and algebra solver, a teacher, a friend. All of those are helping you work through each step, which is the only way to learn Algebra. I don't want answers handed to me, I want to figure out how they are coming up with that answer. If I can physically see it worked out step by step, then I can get it.

Quote:
I just saw this. If you need more help, give me a heads up. My youngest son took Algebra in the 4th grade. (until the middle of the first grade he could barely read/write, ADD and they wouldn't test him for this or offer support until then) Math/science is easy for him. He's now in college but can walk you through where I'd get lost.

-Karen

smile.png
My 16 yr old tries to show me, but he talks faster than my teacher does, lol. He is also ADHD. Beginning to wish I was ADHD, they seem to have a knack for math. He also loves Chemistry and Science.

Yeah, really. Goes hand in hand with music too. They went to a public school, magnet programs. Mandi started on the violin in kindnergarden and was writing her own music in the 3d grade, one took up the sax. Felt bad for the neighbors that first year. All four of them were outstanding in math, two in science. NOT me. Have trouble remembering phone numbers and the ATM codes. All of them recall phone numbers from their youth, know the VIN numbers on all their vehicles, love math games and puzzles relating to science. I'd rather iron....

Quote:
smile.png

Yeah, really. Goes hand in hand with music too. They went to a public school, magnet programs. Mandi started on the violin in kindnergarden and was writing her own music in the 3d grade, one took up the sax. Felt bad for the neighbors that first year. All four of them were outstanding in math, two in science. NOT me. Have trouble remembering phone numbers and the ATM codes. All of them recall phone numbers from their youth, know the VIN numbers on all their vehicles, love math games and puzzles relating to science. I'd rather iron....

My son chose Choir this year, LOL............ Little ADHD smarty pants, and they call it a sickness?? Very smart children. I'll just stick to chickens
smile.png

Quote:
What language IS that??!!
th.gif

gig.gif
I personally would like to
smack.gif
the person that invented Algebra. I did the know the name but I have been out of class for a few hours and already forgot
tongue.png

Quote:
Well, you've obviously gotten help already. but I wanted to share a tip I got from college - GO TO OFFICE HOURS. It took me a couple years to figure out that office hours was really a secret extra section where you got real help on what the heck the professor was talking about.

The other tip is - if you are able to record the section with a flip camera or something like that, it can be really helpful. THat way you can review afterwards. I had a teacher who talked a mile a minute so I had to do that.

First I taught HS math for 35 years so expect I know a bit. Second, unless you've left something off those are polynomials, not equations--equations have to have "=" signs in them. All you are doing is factoring 3rd degree and quadratic polynomials. What you were shown in previous posts was true except there is nothing to solve. The answers are just (3q + 2)(3q^2 + 5) and -1(p - 7)(p + 2)or (-p + 7)(p + 2) or (p - 7)(-p - 2) there is no other answer. BTW not all of these kinds, especially 3rd degree, polynomials factor so nicely.

Quote:
Woodmort, thank you so much. I really wish I just "got" Algebra it seems like it would be really fun since I do like numbers. Looking back at a few things..... we are working with the binomials, polynomials, trinomials. It's the simple stuff that I know I know, he just confuses for me some reason.

If they do not have = signs then all I do is factor
If they have = signs then I am solving an equation

I really get confused on the rules. I am looking for the rules in a simple format that I can understand. I use have them written down. I guess I just can't connect with this teacher for some reason.

Quote:
Well, you've obviously gotten help already. but I wanted to share a tip I got from college - GO TO OFFICE HOURS. It took me a couple years to figure out that office hours was really a secret extra section where you got real help on what the heck the professor was talking about.

The other tip is - if you are able to record the section with a flip camera or something like that, it can be really helpful. THat way you can review afterwards. I had a teacher who talked a mile a minute so I had to do that.

I was thinking about that Friday, but instead of him, I am going to use my other Algebra teacher. I just can't understand this one. She told me I was going to be in trouble when she found out who my professor was.

Back
Top Bottom