I need help from the broody magicians of BYC!

Hmmm. Ok. If I were desperate (and I mean truly desperate) I'd try this, bearing in mind there's every chance it would not work. I'd nix and redo the entire nesting setup. Block off or remove what the have now and provide lots of entirely NEW areas with fake eggs or real ones, not just in the coop/run either but even a few where they free range. My goal is to get hens laying separately to SOME degree so a lower level hen may still find less prime real estate that she likes and doesn't have to fight to keep private. Nine hens all wanting that same spot daily just seems untenable for any but the most aggressive and assertive hen (and it sounds like you have more than 9 hens, it's just these 9 you are focused on for your project, correct?). Different box styles just to try and check all the possible preference boxes as well, with an emphasis on dark and private. I'd consider stopping egg collection altogether for a bit too, as long as this was my last big attempt.

Outside of these very extreme measures, I'd get a mini group of something like silkies or bantams and just have surrogate broodies for your project group; maybe a hen that grows up on your property will be more at home and more likely to brood there than birds you received as pullets who have had a change in location.

I have basically done this three times, last spring when I changed their nests, then during autumn,and now third time in the spring again. Unfortunately you are all right, there's probably nothing I can do to make them go broody, I'll just have to accept that

It just depends on the broody Gods. Last spring I ordered special chicks, and Mrs. Feathers a proven successful broody for me. I had read that if you lock her in a small dark dog crate, on a pile of eggs, in a couple of days she will go broody.

Don't waste your time. Not at all... until 4 week later, long after I had raised up the chicks myself, THEN she went broody.

What amazes me, is how people can break a broody? I always have to give in and slip a few eggs under her.

Mrs K

It just depends on the broody Gods. Last spring I ordered special chicks, and Mrs. Feathers a proven successful broody for me. I had read that if you lock her in a small dark dog crate, on a pile of eggs, in a couple of days she will go broody.

Don't waste your time. Not at all... until 4 week later, long after I had raised up the chicks myself, THEN she went broody.

What amazes me, is how people can break a broody? I always have to give in and slip a few eggs under her.

Mrs K
Chicken math strikes again! Just a few turns into 6 (cause 3 of them will be boys) then might as well say 8 in case a couple don’t hatch……

This is a little thing, but I would try turning your nesting crate on its side so the hen feels more secure with a "roof" over her head. Might not work, but cheap and easy to try.

If you're referring to the crate nest which is elevated, they aren't using it at all this year, they're only utilizing one floor nest that has a roof

Mrs K

That's so true. I just haven't found an offering great enough for the chicken Gods to accept

how people can break a broody? I always have to give in and slip a few eggs under her.
It is hard, but in my case when it happens it would be because a) someone else is already sitting, and two broodies simultaneously doesn't work here, or b) she's already had a turn recently, and I try to ensure all who want to get a turn, or c) my coops are at capacity, and overstocking is the shortest route to all sorts of problems.

I have a white rock who didn’t go broody until she was 2 years old. Is it worth giving them a bit more time to mature?

Don't worry, they're not going anywhere, they're still great layers, wonderful free rangers, and a rare breed I'd like to preserve. I'd just prefer it if they did the breeding on their own

Hens vary wildly in how prone to broodiness they are. My polish hen never goes broody, my pekins cannot be stopped from going broody. I haven't kept the breed you have, but I would suggest bringing in a couple of Pekins, and then you can put the eggs from the other hens under them. I would also change your cockerel. As previous members have noted, conditions need to be right. You need at least 19% protein in the food, and a calm environment. Nest boxes are not an issue. My hens brood everywhere, but mostly not in the nest boxes!

Back
Top Bottom