I need help getting my chickens to find their nesting boxes!

Try a square box about the size of a shoe box, padded with the cheapest hay. I had a lot of empty flower pots and put 3 different sizes and let them pick. Mine REALLY seem to like being "snuggled", meaning they like a tight fit. Try looking for good, sturdily built planters, a small pet carrier, etc. Look around your local thrift shop.

If I was you in my nesting box I have straw and sawdust i put a yellow gold ball in my too so the look Like another chicken has already layer there egg the so they think it is a safe place to lay there egg too. Perhaps put it I closed so they are feeling secure when laying

Last edited:
My Araucana only went in the best box the first time she laid, she even makes a point of not sleeping near it lol
All my hens hate silver foil though!!! And they stear well clear of my herb garden! Not kne hen has ever needed a fake egg. trust them, they know what to do! Hope this helps.

too bad you are so far away as I would buy the shavings off you...I use shavings for the flooring inside the hen house...the girls love it...we will see what I end up using for nest boxes as mine are not laying yet.

We put golf balls in ours, and they've been laying in there ever sinse. Occasionally one gets knocked out and we'll find a egg on the ground next to it :)

Any of you not have a rooster but are willing to try one? A neat experiment would be to see if rooster can get hens to lay eggs in boxes you use. My adult roosters clearly effect nesting and thus egg deposition sites for my hens that are in pens and free-ranging.

Back
Top Bottom