I need help getting my chickens to find their nesting boxes!

colincrompton

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 23, 2013
Santa Rosa
Okay so our chickens are about 21 weeks and showing the first signs of readiness to lay (red cobs, grooming our rooster, etc.) However they have expressed no interest in their nesting boxes. I've removed all other "private" areas in the yard so they won't lay out there, Put plastic easter eggs in the boxes and even put herbs in there to lure them in. I'm afraid about picking them up and putting them in there because last time I tried to pick one up they were scared of me for a week. Any ideas in order to show them their boxes? Or should I just sit tight.

The nesting boxes:

The inside of one of the boxes
:
EDIT: Success! the birds found the boxes! (and didn't mind the trays!)

Last edited:
I know Those were the only eggs we had though, and I don't think the weird eggs are scaring them away, they haven't even investigated them at all, in the places where I haven't disturbed it there's actually a layer of dust.

I don't think they will like the metal trays. How strong is the herb smell? Chickens have sensitive respiratory systems.

It will help if you fill the Easter eggs with rocks. Also, make a little hole in the nest and put them there.

The metal trays are there to make it easier to clean, i've already filled the eggs with sand. I dunno like a few sprigs or rosemary and lavender per a box.

I'd replace the shavings and herbs with straw in one of them so that they have options. Mine don't consider shavings nesting material.

I'd also try without the trays. Those look like the first time one stepped on the edge it would flip scaring the crap out of it and probably cure it of ever using it again.
I just put a pair of garden gloves on and pull my straw out and replace with new. As long as you don't let them sleep in there it shouldn't get dirty enough to worry about the trays.

Last edited:
Okay, so straw? The only reason were using the shavings is because we've got a massive bag of it and we use sand for our floor material. Should I put some herbs into the straw? And sleeping there isn't a problem as they have some roosts higher up.

I'd replace the shavings and herbs with straw in one of them so that they have options. Mine don't consider shavings nesting material.

I'd also try without the trays. Those look like the first time one stepped on the edge it would flip scaring the crap out of it and probably cure it of ever using it again.
I just put a pair of garden gloves on and pull my straw out and replace with new. As long as you don't let them sleep in there it shouldn't get dirty enough to worry about the trays.

x2 - I was thinking the same thing about the trays. My ladies are afraid of the stainless steel bowls I used to put in their run for their treats - I would NEVER get an egg if I used shiny silver trays in the boxes!

Back
Top Bottom