I need help getting my chickens to find their nesting boxes!

yep, I agree....the aluminium trays could be a problem. Your nesting boxes look great otherwise, nice and private with the little curtains. My girls would love them. Just give them time.

p.s.........
don't worry about the easy to clean factor. Nesting boxes tend to stay cleaner than the rest of the coop. By nature, Hens just rarely poo in them. They only get bad if new pullets sleep in there.

Whats the purpose of the herbs? I think you could probably do without that.

I do a lot of work with herbs and essential oils. My guess would be they are there to repel bugs, kill germs, and possibly promote relaxation (works for people ---- but who knows with chickens). I agree that they are probably not useful in a nesting box.

Try replacing some metal trays with wooden trays. Then try omitting use of herbs. I like herb idea for use as mosquito repellant for roosting / brooding birds but recognize birds do seem to have issues with some scents.

Use straw and to make the nests easier to clean, put a piece of cardboard in the bottom. Everytime you clean out the coop, just throw the cardboard away and replace it. You can get boxes at a liquor or grocery store and cut them up.
Also, I used white golf balls to teach mine where to lay and they caught on quickly.

well when you see the egg coming out put theem in the nesting box and they wil just seat ln lay the egg in the nest b ox theen either do that two more times or just wait and see if there is a egg in the box

Back
Top Bottom