I need help getting my chickens to find their nesting boxes!

The only problem is this, We have a MASSSIVE bag of pine shavings and their only use is the nesting box (we use sand as the floor) And the Other Problem is that our boxes are actually built into the side of our house.

For nesting material I have just clean straw, with a golf ball in each nest. I was told after all have layed, you can remove the balls. I'm looking forward to finding more eggs tomorrow. Got one today!

In the pic the nests are to the left. I can get a better pic later if anyone wants. We got these already made from my nephew.

Last edited:

Here is a pic of our nesting box. I use two 12x14 hard plastic tubs about 4 inches deep filled with pine shaving nd my pullets don't mind at all.

mine were totally uninterested in their nest boxes (curtains, foosballs and all) until they started laying. I've got 2 of 8 laying so far, and both have started in the boxes--they found them when they were ready. I've got a third who's interested in the boxes now, so I think she'll be next. I've got pine shavings in mine, over slabs of a foam camping pad remnant. They (all two of them) seem to like it a lot.

I just move their eggs to where I need them to lay, then collect the day old eggs the next day. My girls always lay n the same nest or two, so once they see other eggs somewhere, thats where they lay. You could probably use fake eggs also if you have some so you don't have to worry about rotation until your girls get the idea. Usually takes 2 days when I move them to get them on the right track, although when they have had a more stressful move they have stopped laying all together *thats a different story*

Are they laying yet.when they get ready they are going to lay where they feel comfortable and at home.mine have hay and pine straw with a wooden floor.They like to make their own nest.I just put the straw in and they work it themselves .They like to pile it up around them so the eggs won't roll out of the nest.hope it helps some

Haha I have the same nesting boxes! Rotisserie pans work wonders :) . I used white golf balls and they took to them perfectly. Just socialize with them more, also. Lol I even cuddle with my chickens. #judgeme lol . But just try the balls and make it very comfortable and clean. Make sure theres nothing there to scare them away. Can they even get up there?? I would try a ladder.. good luck!!!

Shavings should not be a problem at all. If they are scared of the tin try to use the big family pack plastic meat trays that you get at the grocery store. I use those in my nest boxes and it works great. I just washed and rinsed them really well before placing them out there.

The hens like having something solid to push on while they're beginning to lay... that's how I knew that mine were starting to lay. They would get in, and start pushing with their feet, kinda of like we gals do when giving birth to our children. Having something to push against makes it easier to push the babies out, whether they be eggs or human babies! With aluminum trays, there's nothing to push against, and they're flimsy. I recommend you take them out, put either shavings or straw for bedding material, or as someone suggested, old towels, and leave the fake eggs in, to give them the idea. They know that they're fake, and they'll get pushed out, when they start to lay. I got my first 49 gram egg today (average size for large eggs is 57 grams), and they've only been laying for a week... 5 eggs/day now.

I am having the exact same problem. My girls are 17 weeks old and are showing absolutely NO interest in their nest box. I added it to their house a couple of weeks ago. They'll stretch up and peak in but the only 'action' it's seen is when I physically put one of them in it. Not sure what to do.

In the interior view, the opening to the nest box is upper left. The lower view shows the original (free) large dog house that I've added on to. Suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom