I need help, is my chicken broody or sick?

Prinny

In the Brooder
Apr 7, 2017
Hi, I have had my silkie since September 2016, I raised her as a chick and she's been laying mostly every day since Easter 2017. She is an house chicken and when she's not in her hutch she is wondering around the room or sitting at my feet.

3 days ago I noticed that she wasn't complaining to come out of her hutch. She was laying down where she usually lays her eggs in the corner with her head down, I figured she was laying another egg. She laid one but she didn't get up to eat or drink anything. Day 2 I noticed that she still hadn't gotten up to eat so I took her to walk around the house with me. While she is in her hutch she is quiet, but when she was following me around the house she was making noises she usually didn't make until I put her back.

I have checked her eyes, nose and beak, everything seems fine. I have also been told because it is winter in Australia that could be affecting her behavior but I would like a few different opinions. I appreciate all comments and thank you for your help.

Although it might be nothing I can't help but worry.

It sounds to me more like she is broody, rather than anything else. If she's in the house, then it being winter should not be relevant. There's no harm in adding vitamin supplements to her drinking water, since I would imagine that she is eating and drinking less than normal?

Assuming you do not want her to raise chicks, I'd suggest breaking her broodiness. You can do this by putting her in a crate (with a wire base) raised off the ground. Keeping her somewhere cooler than your room temperature will also help.

Silkies love to be broody so if you break her she'll only be back at it before you know it. If she's a house chicken she will be well looked after (I'm sure) so there's no danger to her health, or risk of her losing condition because she is broody. Just get her off once or twice a day so that she eats and drinks.

Does she say "chook, chook" repeatedly when you get her off? That's classic broody behaviour. Then they usually make a big yell and fuss as they rush back to their nest ("Break time's over!").

Yeah, when I take her into the lounge she will sit with me, then wonder around the kitchen and noises and then come back to me, then repeat it until I put her back in her hutch. Good to know it's normal behavior I feel a lot better now

Lol yeah I started to try and break it. she already poops around the house and she's proud of herself "Pick up my droppings, human!"

Back
Top Bottom